Treating wood worm in kitchen work surface

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombunk

Reaction score
After a little advice please, I'm using live Edge inch thick oak for my kitchen tops but there are holes just in the edge of the wood, obviously I need to treat it but I don't want to use anything that will be unsafe with food etc and leaves a smell, can any one point me in the right direction.

If the Oak has been kilned then the worm is long dead so there's no need to treat, furthermore in a centrally heated house worm won't be coming back, so the worm flight holes are nothing more than a record of the wood's history.

If the Oak hasn't been kilned then it's not suitable for worktops, if you use air dried Oak for worktops woodworm will be the least of your problems!

That's good news as the oak is kiln dried, I've not much experience in these things but the man I bought them from said he always advises people to treat before bringing them indoors but it makes more sense that they would be killed off in the kiln.

wombunk":c3apt682 said:
That's good news as the oak is kiln dried, I've not much experience in these things but the man I bought them from said he always advises people to treat before bringing them indoors but it makes more sense that they would be killed off in the kiln.

A little caution here, how and where have they been stored since kiln drying?
If they have just been in someones shed and open to uncontrolled atmosphere and damp conditions for a while they could be re-infected.

They have been kept outdoors under sheets so that could have happened I guess, if I were to treat what would I be best using?

Back