Identify a Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NazNomad

Established Member
Reaction score
'MADE IN ENGLAND' and 'No 4' are the only markings on the sole, which is painted dark blue.

The cap iron has 'CORRECT ANGLE FOR GRINDING 25°' stamped on it.

The handles appear to be a bakelite substance of some kind.

... any ideas before I can get some decent photos tomorrow?

Ok, how about now?

plane.jpg

I have about three similar ones in a box of salvage stuff. They seem to generic planes however one has a sedgely lever cap so maybe that relates to it

I think it's an unbranded, generic plane, ready for any retailer to add their own-brand name to it, presumably on a sticker which would fit in the rectangular recess ready for it. There are some visible economies - the plating on the lever cap is less than lovely and the lateral adjuster is a single bit of bent steel. Did they leave out the frog adjustment screw as well?

The plastic handles would make it post WWII - I'd guess - so some time from the 50s to the 70s.

That said, it will probably be a perfectly respectable plane. There weren't that many foundries set up to make plane bodies and previous discussions on here have shed light on the way that both Stanley and Record subcontracted work to Suffolk Iron Foundries / Qualcast. You might find some numbers on the castings to confirm that. So what's the difference between this and one with a major brand name on? With luck, nothing; without luck you may have something which more rigorous QC would have rejected, bearing in mind that the appeal of an 'OEM' plane would be a shilling or so off the price of the market leaders.

The cap iron sounds like it might be the same as used by Record. Anything on the iron itself?

A few more shots from different angles or of the dismantled bits would help, but overall, the best test is to use it!

A really basic shot, lacking in the quality analysis of AndyT........... based on one hunch only.........possibly the blue is........ Draper (hammer)

AndyT":sh00rrvy said:
Did they leave out the frog adjustment screw as well?
They did, but I've cleaned it and set it up nicely and it's as good (in my hands) as my Stanley Bailey #4.

lurker":sh00rrvy said:
If you paid more than three quid you was dun
£4.

At least they didn't cheap out on the thickness of the sides, looks nice and thick.
How thick is the sole ?, Id guess nice and heavy too .
I wish I could get planes for that price :mrgreen:

Back