Can 2 nvr switches be wired in line?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaci

Established Member
Reaction score
Im trying to see if its possible and how to wire an extra nvr switch to my lathe, what i have is a nvr switch attached to the motor 1ph 240v and more than 50% of the time its out of reach so i want to wire in another so both work which ever i push. Can anyone help if possible.
Grant

No reason why you can't do it for safety reasons as long as they are in series. If the power drops out both will shut down which is what you want for safety.

You'll get funny behaviour though. If you shut off in normal use at the one nearer the motor then you'll have to restart with the same one. If you shut off at the one further from the motor you'll trip the one nearer the motor as well. To restart you'll need to switch on at both switches, starting with the one further from the motor. Likewise if the power drops out you'll have to restart twice, starting with the one further from the motor.

For safety you only need one nvr switch. The other could be a normal switch as long as it is rated to break the current drawn by the motor. Put it between the nvr switch and the motor otherwise you'll still be pressing two switches to restart after a power failure or after using the plain switch.

In our little workshop in the main warehouse our electrician has wired 2 in so that the power can be killed of from different locations quickly, as mentioned sometimes you cant understand why its not working until you realise you need to reset the other nvr :)

I think what youre describing is a panic switch. The kind that just has a big red button. Once pushed it stays in untill you manually twist it unlocked again. But as said, once that is pressed the normal nvr switch will drop out, so even if you reset the panic button you will still have to press the nvr again.
Why not make it simple?
Move the one NVR switch to a convenient location and just lengthen / shorten the wires to suit?

Thanks for all the advice, i think im just going to move the switch make life alot less complicated.

This is not at all complicated to achieve.

To do this properly, you only need one NVR switch to which you can add as many stop and start buttons as you wish.

The start switched should be wired in PARALLEL with the nvr start button and all the stop switches should be wired in SERIES with the existing stop switch.

Latest posts

Back