UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superglue with certain other materials does cause an exothermic reaction, I've noticed that using talc powder as a thickening agent when filling small gaps for modelling makes it go very warm, but only briefly, as it sets within a few seconds. However, I've also seen that using it on wood to reinforce end grain fibres, adding strength to a screw hole in chipboard or MDF (I put a few drops in to soak) has no such no warming effect at all, neither with using slate dust or sawdust as a filler.

I've never really understood why, but the point about having it on rags is something I'd not experienced so thanks for the warning.

I don't know if you did this experiment at school, where the teacher dropped a lump of chalk into one beaker of vinegar and and powdered chalk into another beaker of vinegar.

Surface area is the key and has a dramatic affect upon reactions. Powders and fine fibres have a very high surface area.

Superglue can start to smoke when dropped onto any finely divided powder.

They use bicarb or bone powder to repair nuts on guitars, drop thin CA glue onto the powder filled cavity. It sets almost instantly.

rafezetter":25ts5zpd said:
Superglue with certain other materials does cause an exothermic reaction, I've noticed that using talc powder as a thickening agent when filling small gaps for modelling makes it go very warm, but only briefly, as it sets within a few seconds. However, I've also seen that using it on wood to reinforce end grain fibres, adding strength to a screw hole in chipboard or MDF (I put a few drops in to soak) has no such no warming effect at all, neither with using slate dust or sawdust as a filler.

I've never really understood why, but the point about having it on rags is something I'd not experienced so thanks for the warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWbcoCtT1oA

Back