Suggest a Cheap Tile saw Please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a pickle, I need to cut out square offcuts/other shapes from about 10ceramic/ 20 travertine tiles, I got a good manual cutter for regular straight stuff so got that covered,however have no way to cut out anything else than a straight line.

I wasted almost a whole day trying to cut out squares for corners/joints in tiles with anglegrinder and than trying to make them even with nipper/rasp- the end result wasn't anything good so back to square 1 :(
I do not want to hire one/or buy an expensive one as I really need it just for one-off job.
I have found myself these 3 models

vitrex (£35 at argos) : http://www.screwfix.com/p/vitrex-113402 ... 240v/60888

plasplugs(£31 with discount): http://www.diy.com/departments/plasplug ... 270_BQ.prd

some QEP from toolstation(£31): http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10565

I think those are the only models I could find that didn't had hordes of super bad reviews, but I'm not sure which one from those would be the best? I'm very well aware that they all will be total garbage but really looking to get the best from the worst?

I have the QEP similar to the toolstation offering and so far it has cut the tiles for three kitchens and four bathrooms on the same blade, seems OK to me, but ceramic tiles only.

Mike

Have you thought about a multitool which is later more than a little useful around the workshop.

I have a very expensive Ruby manual cutter and a large wet saw table both of which will get used once in a blue moon now I'm retired. Why are you agaist hiring btw for a one off job?

Bob

MikeJhn":qhk99rlm said:
I have the QEP version and so far it has cut the tiles for three kitchens and four bathrooms on the same blade, seems OK to me, but ceramic tiles only.

Mike
do you guys have that cheap £30.58 version or the larger more powerful £61.18 version?
The larger more expensive version had some very bad reviews,and in the reviews about the smaller cheaper version people only said that it's only good enough for the price it costs, so I thought the smaller/cheaper one would be even worse?

I have 10mm ceramic tiles and 12.5mm travertine stone tiles to cut, so nothing that hard-core.

Do you know If that QEP is even some real brand or just some store-brand type of stuff but made by someone else?

Lons":370tqqmr said:
Have you thought about a multitool which is later more than a little useful around the workshop.

I have a very expensive Ruby manual cutter and a large wet saw table both of which will get used once in a blue moon now I'm retired. Why are you agaist hiring btw for a one off job?

Bob
Hi Bob, Got different areas to tile , bathroom/kitchen/ some floor in other place so it would be dragged out over a long period of time so it wouldn't really be cost-effective to hire.
I got a multitool, however it's completetly useless at this kind of stuff.

I can't comment on that really, as I bought it a long time ago, just went out to the shed and it looks like the link you posted, unfortunately the manufacturers label came off an also long time ago, so which version it is I am not sure.

Mike

20mm thick Travertine tiles are quite soft so either of those 3 wet tile cutters will do the job you ask of it.

If you are cutting out square corners from the tiles, dont try and wet cut to one line and then score & snap it off. Wet cut both lines and allow the scrap section to fall away.

If your tiles were harder, it would be ok to wet cut one line only, but as I said, Travertine is soft compared with Ceramic or Porcelain tiles.

EDIT.

Of the 3 I would go with the Vitrex as they do make some quality tiling tools...

The uselessness of your multitool could be down to the blade, my Fein Multimaster and blade did a very good job on my neighbours 10mm floor tiles which I took up for her as the tradesman that put them down built in a nice hump in the middle of the room. :roll:

Mike

MikeJhn":1boje015 said:
The uselessness of your multitool could be down to the blade, my Fein Multimaster and blade did a very good job on my neighbours 10mm floor tiles which I took up for her as the tradesman that put them down built in a nice hump in the middle of the room. :roll:

Mike
You are spot on- it's good for taking stuff down with a proper blade!
But not for cutting long precise lines in large tiles,that would take hours and too many damaged tiles with overall very very terrible finish quality.

MrDavidRoberts":2wkt6g0n said:
MikeJhn":2wkt6g0n said:

Mike
You are spot on- it's good for taking stuff down with a proper blade!
But not for cutting long precise lines in large tiles,that would take hours and too many damaged tiles with overall very very terrible finish quality.

Hi
I got it wrong when I suggested a multitool, thought you were just taking small cutouts so really do need a wet saw fo long cuts
Just a tip when cutting out remember because the blade is circular the cut is deeper underneath so as said cut carefully to the line and let the scrap bit drop. Was more difficult with my saw as an overhead blade so sometimes had to turn the tile opside down to finish the cut.

Some of the hard tiles can be prone to chipping so where this was a problem I usually scored the line by hand before cutting to the edge of the score.

BTW, anyone wanting a superb cutter for straight cuts including porcelain tiled should consider a Ruby trade cutter, not cheap but worth the cost imo. I have a ts66 which has over time paid for itself many times over.

Bob

I have myself used and seen professional tilers also use just a manual tile cutter and a 5" grinder with a diamond blade.

I bought a Parkside tracksaw the last time they were available from Lidl, and fitted it with a diamond blade. I have yet to try it on porcelain or ceramic, but stone, concrete and slate cuts beautifully.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Roughcut":2lj88bky said:
I have myself used and seen professional tilers also use just a manual tile cutter and a 5" grinder with a diamond blade.

Yes I've done it that way as well Roughcut if only a few and not worth setting up the big wet saw but stopped using diamond blades. I switched to a 5" grinder and 1mm thin slitting blades, which work on granite as well. Creates a hell of a lot of dust though!.

Lons":2f4vsfez said:
Roughcut":2f4vsfez said:

Yes I've done it that way as well Roughcut if only a few and not worth setting up the big wet saw but stopped using diamond blades. I switched to a 5" grinder and 1mm thin slitting blades, which work on granite as well. Creates a hell of a lot of dust though!.

Interesting..
anyway, I just went to a local shop where they had the vitrex on display but at some £50 , not really impressed with the overall feel of it. so went to toolstation accross the road and bought their QEP £30 version, seems about the same overall..
However the build quality of it seems similar to some cheap £4 tesco toaster, pretty nasty.
the case looks a bit to me like some cat litter tray :D Will try to use it tomorrow ,hopefully it will last me through the few tiles I need to cut.

I've got the cheapo Screwfix Titan jobbie and during the tiling of two bathrooms it didn't miss a beat. Great value IMHO.

Walney Col":316c8hpa said:
I have this one for £49 which has a 1800mm dia blade.
Col.

Can you get it with a saw blade, I could do with a new log splitter. :wink:

Mike

I bought an Einhell wet diamond cutter about 10 years ago, and it was second ( or more ) then. I have used it for cutting floor tiles for kitchen, utility room, 3 bathrooms. I have loaned it to my 3 sons in law who have likewise used and used it. It is still going strong with the original diamond blade. Einhell is a budget brand but this model has done me proud. The galvanised table is starting to rust, the rip guide is cr@p and the adhesive scale soon peeled off, but in terms of just cutting tiles I can't fault it.

K

Back