Axminster table saw stopped working - electrical

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crt

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone might be able with this electrical problem with my 12" Axminster table saw? It started up and then immediately stopped. I've got 240v at the switch input terminals but when I press the green on button I get no click and no power out. There are three wires on the output side of the switch - grey, brown and a thinner black wire. There is a large white 50uf capacitor in the side of the motor. I was thinking of just replacing the capacitor (less than £10) but before I do that I would like to work out how to eliminate the switch which I know is not a simple on/off switch because of the 0 volt protection.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Clive

Please don't do this if you are not confident, but I would assume the thin black wire is the brake, switch off and unplug the machine then I would investigate the connections inside the switch to establish what input wires connect to what output wires, Look up on the internet for a circuit diagram of a NVR switch, once I have established what is the phase and neutral on the motor, with insulated connectors I would connect the motor straight into a mains plug, thus by passing the NVR, plug in and momentarily switch on if the motor starts switch off immediately, you have established that it is almost certain that your NVR is at fault.

I think there may be some fallout from the above, but it is what I would do, you do not have to do this, but it is probably what everyone else would do, but don't want to say out loud. :wink: :lol: :twisted:

Mike

They're not complex things, and you sound like you have an understanding of what you're about. If you don't... then don't (fiddle with it), obviously.

Otherwise, you should be able to test the switch on its own: they're mechanical things. Disconnect the motor (remembering what goes back where!). Apply power to just the switchand press the green button. Have an assistant turn the mains off remotely, and listen close to the switch for a click - the relay disengaging - if silence, the switch isn't doing its thing.

But honestly, ring Axminster support in the first instance. It's unfortunate it's happened over the w/e, but they are usually very helpful. Bear in mind they run themselves ragged before Christmas, so they might have a number of people on leave now, but I don't know another company as good at going above & beyond. They should have information and advice, and probably carry any necessary spares.

And from a safety perspective, you can always test the thing with no blade fitted. It's hard to cut a finger off under those circumstances. Electricity is no respecter of fingers though, so if in doubt, don't, obviously.

This may not be relevant but my mitre saw acted strangely once. I was using it and suddenly smoke started pouring out, then it wouldn't switch off after releasing the trigger. After that it didn't work at all. Turns out the smoke was from the blade brake components, and when I by-passed the circuit the saw worked fine again but with no brake ( obviously!!).

So, just wondering if your blade brake might be the issue here? Could you perhaps do a test wiring with the thin black lead disconnected? I don't know if it would help, but if the motor starts normally then that would be your problem.

K

Letting the magic smoke out of any electrical item spells disaster, it will never work again without replacing it. #-o

Mike

Back