Coronet Major Sliderest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blockplane

Established Member
Reaction score
Attempting to fit for 1st time.
Before I spend time dismantling -

Should I be able to wind the cross slide back far enough to have un-interrupted access to the nut on the T bolt?

Many thanks in anticipation

Sounds like a previous owner has added a cross slide from an engineering lathe (my old Major had the same) but I can find no record of a factory supplied one.

No, there definitely was a Coronet one, of which this is an example - sure there must be a photo on Tony Griffiths' Lathes.co.uk

Don't think adding photos is within my capabilities, don't want the mods on my back for wrong file size/type , too many pixell thingies or whatever.

No photo chez Tony, but- quote - "A wide range of accessories was always listed for the Major including a vertical band-saw, horizontal band-sander, disc sander with tilting table, flexible-drive attachment, metal-turning compound slide rest with a 4-way tool post, long-hole boring equipment and the (very rare) speed-reducing backgear assembly to assist when turning very large diameter bowls. The previously-mentioned Planer-thicknesser, mortising attachment and tilting saw table were all improved in later versions with added capacity and strength"

Found it ! It IS on Lathes.co.uk, but on the first page of Coronet, not the section on the Major. 12th photo down.

Having stripped the thing, I can answer my own question, yes it does retract to clear the mounting bolt - I found the gib strip badly distorted, the screws had been over tightened in an attempt to correct it.

May I publicly thank Robbo for the info he emailed me earlier.

Apologies for doubting you Bp. I never knew that. I browsed the images too fast & missed it. My excuse is it's before my time! :)

I recognise the dome shape of the casting but can't remember if it was the top or bottom half - I know it wasn't complete.

Image is #12 on this page
- http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet/

BTW if you don't know how to post a link to a web page there is a good tutorial here,
- http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000867.htm

Back