Cutting a small slot in wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toymaker1

Reaction score
Hello.
Can anyone tell me what tool would be god for cutting a 1.6mm slot in wood?

Thanks for any advice.

quote="MattRoberts"]What sort of slot? Is it all the way through our partial depth? Is it end to end or in the middle? What's it for?[/quote]

I have attached a sketch showing the slot I want to cut. Hope it is clear.

Cheers.
slot sketch 1.png

Attachments

• slot sketch 1.png
    slot sketch 1.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 942
Fine circular saw - either pass it over on a jig for a straight back to the slot, or just take it up to the blade horizontally, but the back of the slot would be same radius as the saw.
A thin saw blade might need two passes for your 1.6mm, with a spacer for the second cut.

If you're just doing one then a handsaw and some sharp chisels, if you're doing lots then the saw blade with a jig.

Thanks to everyone for responses to advice re. cutting 1.6mm slot. Very useful info. I am not experienced in buying such tools (e.g.saw with 1.6mm blade). Any suggestions for a specific model - would a Dremel do it? I have seen ads for fine circular saw blades with 1.6mm blade, but they don't say how they are connected to a tool. I have never used those sort of tools. Jacob's comment about a straight back to the slot is very useful. It does not really matter if it is straight or diagonal.
Thanks everyone.

A better question is "what tools do you have"?

if that drawing is any where near to scale then the cut is only about 10 mm high.

If so, a single cut with a small handsaw will do the trick.

sunnybob":26sx6ird said:
A better question is "what tools do you have"?

if that drawing is any where near to scale then the cut is only about 10 mm high.

If so, a single cut with a small handsaw will do the trick.

+1
Perhaps some sandpaper wrapped around a card scraper to widen the kerf if necessary.

I like the idea of a saw kerf (or more than one). An alternative might be a chisel (if you can find a supplier with one in stock) like this: http://www.workshopheaven.com/ashley-il ... 1-5mm.html (or you could grind down a larger one perhaps)

How accurate does it need to be and how many do you need to make? Is it a co-incidence that 1.6mm is (near as makes no odds) 1/16" ?

Cheers, W2S

toymaker1":1wuo50n1 said:
Thanks to everyone for responses to advice re. cutting 1.6mm slot. Very useful info. I am not experienced in buying such tools (e.g.saw with 1.6mm blade). Any suggestions for a specific model - would a Dremel do it? I have seen ads for fine circular saw blades with 1.6mm blade, but they don't say how they are connected to a tool. I have never used those sort of tools. Jacob's comment about a straight back to the slot is very useful. It does not really matter if it is straight or diagonal.
Thanks everyone.
Toy making?
I used to make toys with the aid of home made table saw; a washing-machine motor in an ammo box driving a Picador spindle with various small diameter fine blades.
Picador used to supply a huge array of odds and ends for the small scale mechanic/woodworker based around various spindle designs with plummer blocks.
I bet there is similar stuff still available for model engineering etc. Perhaps start by googling "plummer block" and "model engineers supplies"

Going by the sketch a simple hand saw / tenon saw / dovetail saw / gents saw would suffice. Something like a Bahco or Irwin from your local DIY chain for about 8 quid.
The only issue I foresee is that only the ''finer'' (read - more expensive) saws give an indication of blade width.
Grab some digital callipers (Aldi for less than tenner when they're there) and pop along to B&Q measure the blade thickness including the teeth, see if any are the right size for one or two cuts.

Back