I need some new chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLFaria

Established Member
Reaction score
I found out that the only chisels I own that will keep an edge with the the wood I am presently working with - holm oak - are my Marples Blue Chip from the early 70's, of which I have only three, in 4mm, 8mm and 12mm, and my old, pre-WW2, Burys & Co. in 1" width.

My remaining chisels are of a low to a so-so quality (Stanley, Bahco, Powerfix (i.e. LIDL)), and are not up to holm - unless I keep sharpening them.

I would like to buy some chisels in widths in between the Marples and the Burys, say in the 16-22mm range, of a quality comparable at least to the Blue Chip - but not horribly expensive.

Much as I would like to buy Ashley Iles or some other reputable quality chisels, I am afraid they won't fit my budget. Would the Narex be up to it? Or can anyone suggest another make in the same price range as the Narex, or possibly not much above that?

Thanks for any help

Have a look on Ebay. There is a good selection of secondhand Marples for around a tenner each.

John

Thank you. I gave it a look, there seems to be also many chisels branded Irwin Marples, Record Marples...

Would these be the same quality as my 40+ years old ones, which were simply branded Marples (see pic.)? I have a tendency to become suspicious whenever I see an added brand name attached to what had formerly been a reputed one, I always have the feeling the more recent brand is capitalizing on the older brand reputation.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 1,303
Irwin Marples are made in China. Best to choose Sheffield Made. Not sure about Record Marples.

John

Thanks, John15,that's what I was afraid of...

Sorry, guys, I have been lazy and have not used the search option, which of course I should have before asking. :oops: There are lots of interesting comments to mull over in there.

Hello,

Before you spend on new, Bahco are not terrible, older ones great and Stanley can be superb to goodish depending on what type.

I should think it is worth steepening the angle you are honing them until they do hold an edge. What angle are you honing approx?

If you do the classic 25 degrees with a secondary bevel at 30 and that doesn't work then just tip the angle a bit higher till it holds a good edge. I'll bet you get something satisfactory at just a bit more, certainly 35 degrees max.

If they are still not good then think about new. But to be honest, Marples blue chip are not profoundly different to Stanley, et all. So I can't see those working and your others not being serviceable.

Mike.

Thank you for your advice.
I usually sharpen all my chisels the same way - 25º/ 30º. After years of trying diferent methods and sharpening jigs, I now use the Kell sharpening guide (sorry, purists, my hands, feeling and sight make sharpening without a jig an exercise in frustration...)
It may just be that what is good for some chisels may not be so good for others, I never thought of that. I will try your suggestion.

PS - I hope this does not turn out into another sharpening thread!

I bought 3 Sandvik/Bahco chisels in 1999. Two were good and one was too soft. Essentially I paid for three and got two.
Since then their quality have had a contant tendency to go downhill while their pricing has had a constant tendency to go uphill so I would not buy Bahco theese days.

A friend bought a new Narex and I would say it is equal to the two better Bahcos.

Most of my chisels are old ones picked up one by one at flea markets.

Back