a small ros?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
dont have one yet, but I feel the need for a random orbital sander growing on me. But I want a SMALL one.
Not worried about time saving, but most of my stuff is medium small (say less than 2 ft square).
I need to be able to smooth into corners quite a lot.
Something bigger than a dremel but less than full sized sander.
possibilities?

I used to think I wanted a power sander. Nobody looks forward to sanding as the best bit of a project.

Then I found out about the Mirka Abranet hand sanding system. It's a handy Velcro pad with a hose you attach to a vacuum cleaner. The abrasive is on a mesh which fixes to the pad. Because it's so open, all the dust is sucked up. The abrasive stays sharp, so it's efficient. You can sand accurately, with the grain, with little effort and no mess.

Have a search on here for lots more happy users.

Andy, I'm a power tool man. Arthritic thumbs mean that I have problems gripping and operating some stuff.
I also use a lot of highly figured wood because I like the patterns, but that means because of the grain changes I have a lot of problem removing sanding lines even when sanding with the grain, so my thinking of the ROS is to remove them.
If I can find something in the 3 to 5" diameter range, i would most likely buy it (as long as it was cheaper than a festool of course).

Mirka CERO's 77mm sander, a little cheaper than the Festool RO 90.
Bloody good tool.

Just as a suggestion, maybe a slight change to working practice might help the problem of sanding into corners. Finish the 'inside' faces of components before glue-up. Not necessarily finish polish (though some people do that in some situations), but finish sand, or plane, or scrape. Then glue up, being careful to wipe away any squeeze-out of glue. Allow to cure, then finish the accessible outside faces. Finally, the whole job can be polished.

This doesn't always work out, not least because the human mind doesn't always get the job sequence spot on - well, my human mind doesn't, anyway - but it can ensure a regular, even finish right into corners when components are finished right out 'in the flat'. It's well worth the extra bother.

I don't know what equipment you currently have, but that approach may allow you to do everything neatly without having to spend more money. :)

Hello,

If you are sanding into corners, a ROS is not the best choice, being round and all. Wouldn't a quarter sheet orbital sander be better. I know they are not fashionable these days, but I still find them useful in the workshop.

Mike.

When you said a "little cheaper" I thought you were using sarcasm. but youre right it is (but only just) a little cheaper.

Can we find something about a 1/4 of that price? I'm only a retired amateur wood butcher, not one of you wage earning craftsmen.

Cheshire chappie, I cant even follow a plan, let alone think ahead! I stumble along learning by my mistakes.
i know my problem is self inflicted by using knotted and swirled grain wood, but thats what I want to do.

Woodbrains, I have an old black and decker sander with a tapered point base, but it has no speed control, and is off like a greyhound as soon as the switch is pushed. I was hoping for a tapered point ros. I see that festool has a perfect shape, but for me, that is just stoopid money.

There's a newish Bosch small sander that has interchangeable bases, might get one myself later in the year.
I think the model is gss160 multi professional, there are other gss 160's but they are a fixed base of a certain shape.

If I remember correctly Metabo do a small, round sander, about 90mm I think.

The bosch is much better priced for me. I shall have to investigate further thanks.

+1 for the Mirka Abranet system. Regarding your difficulty to grip strongly, it is my experience that there is very little difference between the Mirka and power tool systems - both require a similar degree of gripping.

John

I havent actually seen this mirka system, so I shall have to try to find it and test it.

No personal experience, but I see a lot of negative comments on the bosch green range (DIY). The bosch blue range (trade) on the other hand gets glowing reports everywhere.
I suppose it depends how much you will use it as to whether the price difference works for you.

+1 for CheshireChappie. I was taught as a school kid that the right sequence was: cut and fit joints/ finish inside (polish and all) / glue up/ final sand and finish outside. That was in the days before ubiquitous polyurethane varnishes, when finish meant French polish and lots of rubbing, quite impractical after assembly. Even with modern varnishes which are sometimes best applied after assembly, that is still a good rule for the final sanding. It's not even more bother, as it is easier to finish sand on the flat.

Back