"bumper" foam for piano veneer - what non marking adhesive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a4536346886

Reaction score
I have a digital piano which has a cabinet made from chipboard or mdf covered in veneer. (black wood effect)

The piano is opposite my home office desk and I swivel my office chair between piano and desk.

It is in a small room and I quite often brush up against it with my office chair. I would like to protect it against scuff marks and damage with a "bumper". I have some 5mm thick LD33 foam I have put around the edge held just with some elastic. This doesn't quite work because the ends are proud of the piano length. I suppose I could get some thicker foam that fills in the gap.

Does anyone have any better suggestions on how to fix a bumper to the length that is removable and will not mark the veneer.

Thanks!

Here is a pic.
IMG_20170102_220233.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170102_220233.jpg
    IMG_20170102_220233.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 88
A good way of doing it is to use 25mm non marking paper masking tape on both surfaces then some kind of mild adhesive to stick them back to back.

Try a test area first, burnish the tape onto the veneer using a soft piece of plastic. On the back of the foam, I would stick 6" lengths of tape, to not make the foam stiff, and leave the 1" internal corners of the foam free from tape so it can bend round without any tension. The tape I have works with pritt stick back to back if sparingly applied. Smooth the two pieces together and put your elastic on to hold it whilst it dries.

If you are having problems sticking the tape to the foam, I suppose you could back it with something different like normal paper glued on.

Do not use double sided tape as it is very difficult to remove the residue.

Thank you for the replies. I got some 3M tape that "guarantees no residue for 6 months" and that seems to be doing the job.

Latest posts

Back