Kitchen Fitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevsf1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and Happy Christmas to all,

Does anyone have an idea what charges are fair for installation of a kitchen. A client of mine who I have made cabinets for in the past, is buying their own units (flat pack) at a cost of £ 9500 for the units then oven/hob/hood/sink etc/Dishwasher, built in fridge and freezer.
They have asked for for a price all in to install, excluding electrical hook up.

I usually quote inclusive prices for supply and build of cabinets so this one is a new one on me,

Any Advice,

Cheers

How many days do you think it will take to fit?How much is your day rate? Any material costs? There's your cost [WINKING FACE]

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Having never assembled flat pack kitchens before I am not sure how long each unit takes and what possible problems I may encouter and so I cannot determine overall time to do the job.

I have been given a very rough guide of 15% of unit costs plus individual appliance installation costs of £ 25 oven / £ 30 each additional appliance but I dont want to overegg the bill as the clients are an ok couple.Same time dont want to lose money on the job........

Whether you rob someone is much up to you - put what you consider a reasonable price in to cover yourself, and if it all goes to plan refund them some?
A friend of mine priced a job for my cousin at day rate or at an all in price. My cousin took the fixed price and was very upset afterwards when he paid what he considered well over the odds, but my friend pointed out that he had to cover all sorts of problems in a fixed rate, whereas a day rate the job might have been three days or a couple of weeks if things went wrong - it was unfortunate that he was not trusted enough not to stretch the job on a day rate.
A little irrelevant, maybe, but food for thought.

A friend of mine here in Ireland inherited a house in Brighton last year. He got me to make the kitchen for him and he took it over in his van,3 weeks later he asked would I fly over and fit it so I told him 2 days 500 euro,
So he near snapped my hand off, he sorted flights and food for the trip, day one, all fitted, doors lined, cornice on light rail on and fan up. Day two, work tops done, sink and hob fitted wired and plumbed, and unit lights wired, all finished at 11am so he asked would I tile it, so I did, when he went for the tiles a painted arrived at the house and we got talking about the kitchen, he told me he was pricing the kitchen fitting and cheapest quote he got was 1200stg with no plumbing or wiring.
Man did I feel a DICK !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,584
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,584
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,584
Im a self employed carpenter in Kent, and would have charged around £1300.00 to fit that, not including plumbing, electrics or tiling.

If I'm unsure on a price to give customers when it's something I've met done before I give em 2 prices. An hourly rate and a guesstimate price for the whole thing. Which ever comes in cheaper they get, though usually the hourly price comes in slightly cheaper

plug":3uu64qki said:
I use http://www.checkyourprice.co.uk as a guide for pricing work.

Excellent, ty for that link, here's a similar one I found for cross reference:

http://www.buildingsheriff.com

Cretin, I don't think you should feel bad, I've recently moved into the "DIY Handyman" venture and since found I was undercharging, BUT I charged what I was happy to ask for without making things awkward for myself; I paid my bills and covered my living expenses, suits me fine.

There are always others who are happy to ASK for more, but after a recent experience I've had to question whether that's from a genuine "that's just the average cost" or the person being just plain greedy (he asked £150 to rehang an already hung door of a disabled friend of mine - yes I took care of it.).

As my 50 year self employed father told me only experience will give you that knowledge, but "cheap" GOOD workers, always get more work :)

Back