Drawer Slide Installation Instructions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I rarely use metal drawer slides, but when I do I prefer to use quality components like Blum.

Only being an occasional user I have to look up all the technical installation data each time, but Blum's web site is an impenetrable labyrinth. Why can't they produce a clear manual and put all the necessary information in one place? For example surely it would be sensible to have self built drawer box specifications in the same place as runner installation instructions.

Is there any other quality manufacturer out there that does a better job with their installation documentation?

I too have the same problem, being an occasional user. However, I did find that if you email them, they are very good at getting back with an answer.

If you look on the ironmongery direct web site they have a PDF for all the technical information. Next to the Drawer slide
Also good prices.

Can't help you with the Blum ones, but the Grass Dyanpro are easy.
For the depth, if you are putting on a planted front the size of the box is the nominal length less 10mm, if you are having a front as part of the box just add the front thickness.

So with a 450mm runner the box is 440mm with a planted front and 460mm with a front of 20mm thick which is part of the box.

For the width measure the opening width take off 42mm and then add the twice the drawer side thickness.

So for an opening of 500mm and with drawer sides of 15mm thick take off 42mm and then add 30mm, which will give a drawe box width of 488mm.

I normally take 25mm off the height to allow for the height of the runner and the bottom needs the be set 10mm up to the bottom of the bottom.

Steve1066":2xnejz4n said:
If you look on the ironmongery direct web site they have a PDF for all the technical information. Next to the Drawer slide
Also good prices.

Thanks Steve, you're right, that would be a logical place to put support information, but unfortunately I can't see a pdf,

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/prod ... escription

There's an interesting point there. Previously when I've used Blum stuff I've ended up on the web sites of US retailers, as they seem to understand better than European retailers that supporting your customers with appropriate product information is just a smart way of running a business! Similarly, I spend more time on Festool's US web site than their UK or European ones, just because the US product support information is clearer and more comprehensive.

So that's two votes for Grass Dynapro, I'm going to look at their product range more carefully.

As a separate project I've got an idea for a drawer cabinet design, I've drawn up some rough plans and fooled around with a couple of maquettes. It might be a suitable project for the latest generation of super expensive drawer slides that are both soft closing and soft opening, the ones that need a power source to operate. But on a couple of occasions I searched around the Blum website for more information, but couldn't find anything remotely helpful from a practical design or installation perspective. It doesn't fill me with confidence, so maybe Grass is the way forward?

I buy about 20 sets or so a month of the Dynapro runners and I have only had 2 sets that have been faulty, I have been using them since they came out.
I buy them from Hafele, remember to order the clips as they are sold separately from the runners, there are to types, 40kg and 70kg ones.

Most of the info you need is on their site.

custard":2o3262nh said:
Steve1066":2o3262nh said:
Also good prices.

Thanks Steve, you're right, that would be a logical place to put support information, but unfortunately I can't see a pdf,

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/prod ... escription

There's an interesting point there. Previously when I've used Blum stuff I've ended up on the web sites of US retailers, as they seem to understand better than European retailers that supporting your customers with appropriate product information is just a smart way of running a business! Similarly, I spend more time on Festool's US web site than their UK or European ones, just because the US product support information is clearer and more comprehensive.
You're right there don't seem to have it on the Blum drawer runners but do on the Motion drawer runners.
I find UK retailers can be lazy when it comes to products support , were as you say the Americans learn about the products there selling and gather the information for you.

Back