Drop sided cot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxie

Established Member
Reaction score
It is that time of life "Dad, can you make me a babies cot??" The requirements are a drop sided one, my requirement is; Where do I get the hardware from?

John, granddad to be!!! :shock:

Given the recent news on drop sided cots I would be very wary. No one picked up they were dangerous until a tragedy happened!

Sure there is a safe version but just be careful.

doctor Bob":2ga6mhks said:
Given the recent news on drop sided cots I would be very wary. No one picked up they were dangerous until a tragedy happened!

Sure there is a safe version but just be careful.

+1 ^^

I have built 2 cots now, both without traditional drop side
1 of them had doors 1 side and a fold down the other (they couldnt decide)
other had fixed back and removeable front
also be wary what spacings you have, and what you finish it with (I know we are all still here despite all the safety aspect not being met)

Steve

Hello,

Better to build a height adjustable platform for the mattress. As the child gets older, the lower it gets placed. Newborns get the top setting so mum or dad doesn't have to reach in too low to pick up the baby.

Mike.

Thank you for your replies. It was my intention to have a "variable" mattress height to the extent of it finishing as a child's bed.
Dr Bob. Your reference to "recent news" about drop sided cots. Could you give more info as I have not seen this piece of news.

John

Roxie":2bwn5fom said:
Thank you for your replies. It was my intention to have a "variable" mattress height to the extent of it finishing as a child's bed.
Dr Bob. Your reference to "recent news" about drop sided cots. Could you give more info as I have not seen this piece of news.

John
There was a BBC article within the las5 couple of days about a baby which sadly died in one of those 'bed nest' cots when it's head when over the side.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co ... p/38318342

Thank you for your replies, thought provoking!! Maybe I will talk my daughter into fixed sides.

John

I understand the UK regulations for drop-sided cots are much tougher than US ones; most of these stories (specific to drop-sided cots) come from the US. Either way though, horrific.

For what it's worth, we have a (good quality) drop-sided cot, and having had several babies go through it, I don't think we've ever bothered to actually drop the side at all.

I don't think UK designs ever had the problems of the dodgy US ones. We've had our drop sided cot for all three of our kids and they are all still alive.

I think the US ban is a strange one as it was more of a problem of poor design rather than a specific system.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

lurker":1cgx2fl2 said:
and having had several babies go through it,

:shock:

More drop-through than drop-side...

basil_brush.jpg

More seriously, what about a sidecar cot? Lot more useful for the first few months (and by the time junior leaves it, it's for a fullsize cot without any need for adjustable heights or drop sides, or they may well be going on to an actual kids bed, which is easier to make).

Bodgers":1q12wb8g said:
I don't think UK designs ever had the problems of the dodgy US ones. We've had our drop sided cot for all three of our kids and they are all still alive.

I think the US ban is a strange one as it was more of a problem of poor design rather than a specific system.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I cant find the link, but was reading in the paper only last week about a death in the uk.
The coroner had some pretty harsh words to say to the british supplier.
Maybe manufacturer, I cant be sure.

Back