Small Box Hardware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM99

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good source for small boxes hinges and clasps, the one i can see on ebay/amazon don't really look that good.

thanks

Oli

Its very difficult to find a reasonable quality at a cheap price.
i buy from china, and although very cheap they are quite good enough for my boxes as I dont sell them, just give them away. I would be embarrassed using them on a commission piece.
Looking for quality hinges and locks can easily work out to more cost than all the wood and time involved in making the box.

lets hope someone can help, because i might be interested also.

sunnybob":2vo7jup4 said:
Its very difficult to find a reasonable quality at a cheap price.
i buy from china, and although very cheap they are quite good enough for my boxes as I dont sell them, just give them away. I would be embarrassed using them on a commission piece.
Looking for quality hinges and locks can easily work out to more cost than all the wood and time involved in making the box.

lets hope someone can help, because i might be interested also.

I don't mind paying a bit for something nice, but i can't seem to find anything decent or just looking in the wrong place.

Oli

Cheshirechappie":15w8axul said:

Yep bought locks from them and very pleased with the quality.

Racking my addled brains for who I bought some very good value hinges off. The name Springwell comes to mind but searches show nothing.

With the arm hinges starting at 30 quid and going to almost 50, thats more than the whole value of the boxes I make.
The plain brass hinges look reasonable cost, but are too plain for a small trinket box. looks like I will have to keep buying from china.

Hello,

The trick is to design boxes that don't require hardware. Sliding lids, lift off lids, lids that pivot on easily obtainable brass dowel. These are design opportunities and make for interesting products.

Or make your own wooden hinges.

Box hardware is expensive if it is good, otherwise it's just cheap and nasty tat.

Don't forget though, boxes that are well made deserve good hardware if they need it. Skimping here is foolish; the value in the box is not the small outlay in wood it takes to make one, but the design, skill and time in making it. Don't devalue a good item because it cost little in materials to produce.

Smart hinges are excellent and to be fair 25 pounds is not too bad a price.

Mike.

Mike i agree with you entirely if i was reselling them i wouldn't skimp on the hardware, for presents to others just looking for mid range but doesn't seem to exist it's either nasty or rather expensive.

But like you say will need to design them without requiring hardware :).

Oli

Mike, I am completely with OM99.
As the old saying goes "horses for courses". £25 on hinges on a £300 upwards display box is fully in keeping.

But I'm an amateur at woodwork, my boxes are quite pleasing to the eye (or so I am told), but I know they all have faults and they have almost no value other than sentimental.

My cost of wood per box is about a fiver usually (I cant count my time or they would be £1000 a piece even at minimum wage).
Theres no sense in putting £20 let alone £50 into hinges for my stuff.

I'm, not skillfull enough to make my own hinges, but i like your point about hidden dowels. I have seen a few made like that and I think that just might be my next venture.
In the meantime whats needed is something that has a minor decorative look to it, but sells between a fiver and a tenner per box.

Pete, your hinges are great, but I think you put the boxes too near the fire and theyve melted!

To think I sweat blood trying to get flat panels and you go and curl them up.

Back