Bench Chisels Set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronhill97

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi im after a decent set of bevel edge chisels that will come nice and will require only honing to be put to use. something that will last a long time and will hold a decent edge. Looking to spend around £100 to £150, will go a touch more for something worth it as i have seen a set of 6 Japanese chisels for £186 on axminster which look good.

many thanks

yeh was looking at them, a friend on my course has them just a shame they have sold out, any idea when they are likely to be in stock again?

Cameronhill97":ghrz56mc said:
yeh was looking at them, a friend on my course has them just a shame they have sold out, any idea when they are likely to be in stock again?

Give Matthew a ring. I bought 2 Ashley Iles dovetail chisels from him and am extremely pleased with them.

John

I'm a fan of the Japanese chisels, they hold an edge incredibly well as long as you don't twist or lever them in use otherwise they will chip badly. All that needs doing with them is to seat the metal ferrule into the handle and pien the wood over the top to keep it on. I hollow grind the bevel on mine and just balance the edge and heel on the water stones for sharpening which make it very quick. I bought a full set about 25 years ago, most are still like new but the 12, 15 and 18 are just stubs now and they have been replaced once already. The dogs doo dahs they are

Hello,

Ashley Iles are just about peerless for the price, quality and design, I would get a set without hesitation and you would need nothing else for a BE chisel ever again. I have tried all kinds over the years, and these are the best by far. You can go cheaper and find other brands fine for much work, but then a fine dovetail job comes up and they will be lacking and you'll regret not getting the AI from the outset.

You can get them direct from Ashley Iles. Toolnut also stock them, but sets are OOS, but perhaps you should buy singly as and when you need them and collect a set you need, rather than what the box says you need.

Mike.

Back