What is the going cost for boiler replacement these days

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Our C/H system installed 1984 and boiler last replaced 1997.

So it is getting old and uninsureable,.

What do you reckon is the average replacement rate for a complete new system? (getting old and did not expect to be here to replace) :wink:

Bungalow, two bedrooms, and already insulated. (Not London Rates)

lurker":t97s8hu4 said:
Is the current one wall or floor mounted

Its floor mounted and the old fashioned system. (hole in wall)

New one will be going on a wall otherside of kitchen, pipe through roof and plumbing and gas nearer than before.

devonwoody":1498sa12 said:
So it is getting old and uninsureable,.
What do you reckon is the average replacement rate for a complete new system?

I'm struggling here - you want to replace the boiler because it is too old for you to insure against it breaking down and needing to be replaced :?: :lol:

A few years back my boiler (that I fitted 28 years previously) sprung a leak so had to be replaced.
After discussing this with my tame plumber we decided to fit an overely expensive floor standing boiler (simple swap job, done in a day & no mess) rather than replumb the house (with a far cheaper boiler) and end up with a similar sized bill.

The problem is, floor standing boilers are few & far between these days.
The one I bought would be more suitable for a house 3 times the size.
Having said that its noticably more economical to run.
Its not a combi. I know 3 plumbers and they all say you need to factor in a short life time for combies.

You don't mention if its oil or gas. Oil is a lot more from what I'm told.

I have a similar size house and was told by my heating engineer not to expect much change from £4k for a replacement boiler (oil combi), but I'm not sure if that also included fitting, but you say you want a 'complete new system'? I assume you don't also mean new pipework/radiators etc?

Boiler unit £750 - £1500 depending on fuel and duty
Installation £1500-£3000 depending on location, flue complexity, change from tank to combi system etc.

Based on my experience with 2 houses in last years, and two colleagues whom I was just chatting to about this at lunch. Overall change out of £3k is unlikely and could easily be pushing £4k. I got £800 rebate from BG and Scottish government when I replaced mine, due to improving efficiency of the unit. I think BG have a £400 trade in scheme at the moment.

F.

The direct replacement for our current combi is about £530 (screwfix) plus fitting. Even if it took all day I'd be loath to pay more than £500 labour. I'd probably try to get a mate to do it though as he's a boiler engineer.
How do folks get £3 - 4K for fitting a boiler?! :roll:

BG are world class scam artists. Any "discount" will cost you piles in the long run.

No self repecting plumber would work for them, their training centre is not far from where I work and you can see them leaving ,dragging their knuckles along the ground to their vans. Then they have a competion to see who can cut up the most motorists heading for the M1.

Paid roughly 3 1/2 thousand (for a combi) this time last year, but that did include replacing 8 radiators (one of them re-sited) which they insisted had to be done, plus re-siting boiler from living room to bathroom c/w extra pipe run and new flue.

I recently replaced my oil combi roughly £2500 for boiler plumber one day to fit I had most of the pipework already altered near ready for connection and made the hole in the wall for flue watch because many plumbers/installers charge a large fee

woodpig":1tl11e8h said:
The direct replacement for our current combi is about £530 (screwfix) plus fitting. Even if it took all day I'd be loath to pay more than £500 labour. I'd probably try to get a mate to do it though as he's a boiler engineer.
How do folks get £3 - 4K for fitting a boiler?! :roll:

I paid £950 a few years ago, combi and fitting included. There's no way that I would pay 3 or 4K for a direct boiler replacement. I very much doubt that I would pay 2K. I know they have costs - van, insurance, professional fees etc. but I ain't paying for their return flight to Barbados.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26KW-COMBI-BO ... SwPYZU9bJw

This is the DEAREST one listed on ebay. I dont see any need to replace any radiators or pipework unless there is a leak, or they are so old as to be iron (galvanised) pipes.

You can do all the pipework yourself as long as you have a gas certified engineer to commsision it (assuming you are using gas of course).

A point to note, combi boilers nowadays are "condensing" combi bollers. They need a drain pipe (15mm copper) run to an outside drain as the condensing system can flush out very acidic water every so often.

sunnybob":23kag262 said:
You can do all the pipework yourself as long as you have a gas certified engineer to commsision it (assuming you are using gas of course).

I did this. Well, the wet plumbing anyway. It took a long time on the phone to find a gas fitter willing to install the gas pipework and commission it. I suspect this is not unrelated to the rates of pay equal to a Barbados holiday charged for fitting a full system. Obviously if you've plumbed in all your radiators yourself, you aren't going to pay £1000 for 20' of gas pipe and a few minutes with a manometer. I was surprised when I bought the boiler from a builder's merchants, that after a sharp intake of breath at the list price, I was immediately offered a 40% discount. I suspect the list price is just for the gas fitter to show the naive customer.

Thanks all for your input.
I have done pipework in the past, but my days of DIY plumbing under floorboards etc. are over, I need lifting up myself if you know the trouble these days.

sunnybob":366nvlqz said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26KW-COMBI-BOILER-5-RAD-CENTRAL-HEATING-SYSTEM-SUPPLIED-AND-FITTED-IN-ESSEX-/272481720155?hash=item3f712d175b:g:7hIAAOSwPYZU9bJw

This is the DEAREST one listed on ebay. I dont see any need to replace any radiators or pipework unless there is a leak, or they are so old as to be iron (galvanised) pipes.

A point to note, combi boilers nowadays are "condensing" combi bollers. They need a drain pipe (15mm copper) run to an outside drain as the condensing system can flush out very acidic water every so often.
The problem with installing a new, condescending boiler into a system with old pipework and radiators, is that the plate heat exchangers used in condensing boilers will not tolerate even the tiniest particles of sludge and rubbish. You'll end up being ripped off even more for a "powerflush".

Devonwoody
I had a combi boiler and two new radiators installed in a two bedroom bungalow a couple of years ago for £2,200 by a company from Torquay including a MagnaClean. They took out the old back boiler, cleared the tank from the roof and completed it all in a day. British Gas quoted over £5k and reckoned it would take them a week.
Regards Keith

Woodchips2":2xy5o5o2 said:
Devonwoody
I had a combi boiler and two new radiators installed in a two bedroom bungalow a couple of years ago for £2,200 by a company from Torquay including a MagnaClean. They took out the old back boiler, cleared the tank from the roof and completed it all in a day. British Gas quoted over £5k and reckoned it would take them a week.
Regards Keith

Thats more like it, if you want to pm me the company much obliged

I saw four BG vans outside a bungalow on our patch the other month, I suppose one was to make the teas! :D

phil.p":t3injdu8 said:
" ... The problem with installing a new, condescending boiler ..."
I had one of them in my old house. :D

I cannot get another replacement boiler for my Ideal Mexico boiler the old system with tank and airing cupboard tank and fitting a small kitchen space. Or can I?

Back