Palm Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for a palm Sander - usually I'd buy Festool without hesitation but then RTS400 is around 3 times the price of the competition and with cash being a tad tight I'm not sure I can really afford it.

The cheaper options appear to be from Makita, Bosch blue, hitachi and a newish dewalt.

Ideally I'd like to be able to get a pad saver for whatever Sander I buy and use abranet

What's your max budget?

Personally speaking I've been recently impressed with Bosch tools, I don't have the sander myself so can't comment but I'll bet it's a decent buy!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'd like to keep it under £100 really which is why the £240 for the Festool has almost discounted it.

I want a square sheet Sander as I've got door frames to do and want something for getting into the corners of cabinets.

Big fan of the RTS400, I was a bit lost when one of mine died semi-suddenly so I bought the Bosch GSS 160 as a stop-gap - cracking little sander, same pad size as the Festool. With the benefit of hindsight I wish I'd bought the GSS 160 Multi with interchangeable pads - I may yet!

Will be doing a quick vid. review in the New Year, though probs not in time for your purchase. Recommended, though.

HTH Pete

Its very embarrassing to say how many sanders I have, of all makes, but I still return again and again to my B&D mouse, its just so small and easy to use, obviously not for large areas and not great for dust collecting, best dust collecting sander I have is the Fein Multimaster incredibly dust free.

Mike

I have a Fein multimaster and it's dust collection was average but I suppose I'm comparing it to the Mirka Deros I use for most my sanding. I did manage to destroy the delta and circular sanding heads I got with it in no time at all and just never replaced as I didn't rate it as a Sander.

The Bosch GSS160 multi head is looking like a probable purchase not as I've found it for £108 and it's got a lot of versatility. The fact it has a delta head is a bonus as the only delta I have now is on my Rotex RO90 and that is deffinatly not a one handed tool

I suppose it accords to what you use to extract the dust with off any machine, with my Karcher I don't get any dust off the Multimaster to the point my wife use's it too and even she has not manged to destroy any of the sanding heads and that is a woman who manged to cam out a Snap On N2.

Mike

I have the makita 4556. Fantastic little sander. The dust bag collects far more dust than I thought it would, so it runs quite clean. The usual moan with these is that the power cord isn't very long - it isn't - but that's not a major drama in a workshop. Quite a cheap tool now, certainly cheaper than when I bought my first one.

Quick question if I may, in what circumstances would you use a palm sander and when would you use a ROS?

Estoril-5":2f1igbia said:
Quick question if I may, in what circumstances would you use a palm sander and when would you use a ROS?

palm sanders are easier for over head work and tight spaces where as a ROS is good on boards and larger flat surfaces.

in my case i want a palm sander with a sqaure / retangle base for doing door frames and skirting / architrave as wells as the inside of cabinets. Even the small disc of my RO90 is going to bump edges when used in tight spaces up against and edge which results in damage to the work poece and longer term the sander head / pad.

Petey83":2jd3h7zr said:
I have a Fein multimaster and it's dust collection was average but I suppose I'm comparing it to the Mirka Deros I use for most my sanding. I did manage to destroy the delta and circular sanding heads I got with it in no time at all and just never replaced as I didn't rate it as a Sander.

The Fein needs to be run at reduced speed when sanding - this is in the instructions but with no highlighting or prominence. Fein UK were uninterested in replacing the melted parts as goodwill, and similarly seemed uninterested in asking the manufacturers to put a more prominent warning in the instructions. Not what I expected from a premium manufacturer - but nevertheless a wonderful tool.
Duncan

A warning - make sure there is enough lead on it, whatever it is. I had a little DeWalt (1/6th sheet? iirc) that I ruined on its first trip up a door lining. Because they are by nature quite light you don't tend to hold them very firmly, and this one having about 2m of lead on it yanked out of my hand, buckling the shaft.

The Fein Mulitmaster has a 5M lead on it, can be a pain to get it all back in the case, but means you can use it anywhere in a room, another good thing about the Fein is its use as other things, not just a sander.

Mike

ended up with the Bosch GSS160 multi base version. So far i am very very impressed with it! The delta pad came damaged but dealer and Bosch have been great about sorting it. Bought some abranet sheets and a pad saver for the long base and am just using regular rolls of paper for the square base.

Also have to say i prefer the LBoxx to Systainers...... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Petey83":9xipugzv said:

Ohhh I am so glad you said that and not me, I am already in trouble with the Triton gang, can't imagine how much trouble you are going to be in with the Festool obsesives. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Mike

Petey83":2i0fxsaq said:

Putting my neck out here, what's an LBoxx and what's a systainer?

Estoril-5":p4k0vxd9 said:
Petey83":p4k0vxd9 said:

Putting my neck out here, what's an LBoxx and what's a systainer?

They are simply plastic boxes to put tools in. Makita's is MakPak. Some people apparently have a fetish for them, especially Festool buyers :)

Back