Coronet elf questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've tried searching but with no luck, so hopefully someone can answer these simple questions.

I'm now the owner of a Coronet Elf as my first lathe. Which I am using to attempt to make tool handles and the odd
Christmas tree decoration. The questions relate to some parts of the lathe and their use.

At the drive end of the lathe there is a large nurled disc about 30mm in diameter 20mm wide and with a hole in the centre. The drive spur sits in this, but often when putting a blank in the lathe the blank does not turn, if I slacken off the tailstock it turns the blank. What is the nurled disc called and what is the best way to set the correct tension?

Also I have what looks like a drill chuck, which instead of jaws it has 4 small pieces of metal which close in when tightened. What is this used for?

Sorry for the poor descriptions and thanks in advance.

B3nder":3k8qer3f said:
Hello,

I've tried searching but with no luck, so hopefully someone can answer these simple questions.

I'm now the owner of a Coronet Elf as my first lathe. Which I am using to attempt to make tool handles and the odd
Christmas tree decoration. The questions relate to some parts of the lathe and their use.

At the drive end of the lathe there is a large nurled disc about 30mm in diameter 20mm wide and with a hole in the centre. The drive spur sits in this, but often when putting a blank in the lathe the blank does not turn, if I slacken off the tailstock it turns the blank. What is the nurled disc called and what is the best way to set the correct tension?

Also I have what looks like a drill chuck, which instead of jaws it has 4 small pieces of metal which close in when tightened. What is this used for?

Sorry for the poor descriptions and thanks in advance.

Have you got any photo's of the parts

The knurled disk has two uses, to protect the screw thread and to act as an extractor for the drive spindle as the shaft is not drilled right through to allow tapping it out from the rear.
with a small motor ease the tension a little to get started then tighten the tailstock only enough to turn the running centre. If using a fixed centre a little lubrication in form of tallow or candlewax and I do mean a little can help. check the head bearings are well oiled as well.
The drill chuck could well be a drill chuck does have a taper or screw thread to fit it, that at least will let you know which end it was designed to be used *headstock or tailstock that is).

If I remember correctly the knurled nut is the morse taper extractor it should be screwed towards the headstock and then you insert the drive centre the nut does not do anything until you want to extract the drive centre because if my memory serves me correctly the headstock spindle is not hollow.Let me know if I am right it's along time since I saw ne of these lovely little lathes.

No pics yet.

Kevin that's correct the spindle is closed, so as you say the knurled nut is a taper ejector.

Wildman it's a threaded chuck, so is used on the headstock.

Can't be sure without a pic, but the "chuck" sounds like the old Coronet collet chuck. Should have three sets of jaws covering about 3/8" to 1". Not true collets, and not that accurate, but useful for holding items with a spigot in the relevant range. Oddly enough, was using mine (rethreaded to fit the Mystro) this very morning.

That describes it, but the clamping size seems smaller. Will come in useful for the small tree decorations I plan on making.

I was going from memory, not measurement, on the sizes. Of course, there may be smaller "collets" which didn't come with my chuck. If I remember, will take a pic of it tomorrow.

If you scroll down about a third of this page, it shows a picture of the Coronet Elf with the thread protector (ejector) in place.
- http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet/

I have PDFs of the manual for the Major/Minor & large wall charts showing all the accessories. Email me if you would like them. :)

If you scroll down about a third of this page, it shows a picture of the Coronet Elf with the thread protector (ejector) in place.
- Coronet major Lathes

I have PDFs of the manual for the Major/Minor & large wall charts showing all the accessories. Email me if you would like them. :)
This is an old post but thought I'll give it a try - I am now proud owner of Coronet Elf and have been looking EVERYWHERE for a manual!!!

Back