Bay window insulation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlawford

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

It's taken me a year to realise why my youngest sons room gets cold despite a roaring radiator:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trian ... stGRLOM%3A

It's two windows set at a triangle outside the walls with a triangular window board being the only thing between the outside and the interior of the house. The wood is flat underneath, and the whole thing is suspended with a gallows bracket.

Any ideas for insulating this?

Am thinking rolled insulation like this...
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-100mm-Bot ... 2/p/109449

...boxed in somehow.

Thanks all.

We too have a blooim big bay window (down to the ground) with a large flat roof going the width of the front of the house across the top.

When we had double glazing put in about 12 years ago I was shocked to see there was little or no insulation above the window. We jammed some in quick while the window was out. But to be fair the only way we manage to keep our lounge warm is by using heavy lined curtains at both ends of the room (one end bay window, the other end is a 3 door patio door). Poke your head the other side of the curtains when the room is toasty and you dont 'arf feel the cold even with D/G :shock:

Nick

For what it's worth, this would be my solution. I would make a box under the outside of the cill that fitted with about about 3/4" in from the outside, the existing cill would have a drip groove routed all around about 1/4" in. Within the box, I would add insulation. The box would have mitered corners to avoid end grain, just nailed and glued together. The bottom of the box would be MRMDF or WBP ply. The bottom of the box would fit inside the edges to avoid water penetrating, just nailed through with galvanised nails. The edges of the box around the bottom would again get a drip groove. Some details probably added to detract from the thickness and create shadow lines. Any horizontal surface would be chamfered to a minimum of 9 degreees to ensure water ran off. The whole thing would be painted before it went up, inside and out. Probably fixed with no more nails or similar.

I would also look at the roof, which is equally likely to be single skin. The same process would be applied with the top felted and made larger than the existing roof.

Hi, I've found this thread and it seems to apply to a 200 year old house we've just bought. We have 2 of these windows and they leak freezing air like a sieve!
Did you try deema's approach or something else? Was very interested to know how you got on.
Best wishes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104-194426.png
    Screenshot_20210104-194426.png
    715.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210104-194442.png
    Screenshot_20210104-194442.png
    188.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210104-194407.png
    Screenshot_20210104-194407.png
    210 KB · Views: 10
Almost every house on my road has these.

Our gardens face south and all of these windows are on the front North facing walls and seem to be used for the corner box rooms with two outside walls as well. Almost doomed to be cold rooms.

Back