Wadkin spares?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindthatwhatouch

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I have been offered an AGS 10 at a reasonable price but it's missing a fence and slide bar ( horizontal round bar attached to the table) but would save me the single phase conversion that would be needed on other machines. As it's my first proper table saw am I better off with an old hunk of cast iron...... Happy to refurb/repair but what's the parts availability.
What's the likelihood of me finding such things at a non extortionate price. Anyone with experience on an aftermarket fence?
I shall walk away if it's more trouble than it's worth, but it's reasonably local where as others on the well known auction website seem to go for silly money or are the other end of the country.
Thanks in advance.

Can't speak directly for your table saw but I have seen a few original fences on ebay for my Wadkin planer, however they were pretty expensive. I have replaced all the bearings on my planer and it uses easily available generic sizes. If it is just the fence then there are load of aftermarket options that could be retrofitted, the cast iron table means it's easy to drill and tap new bolt holes. I fitted a new fence to an old cast iron saw with little bother, I did have to buy a tap and die set, but that's more tools so is cost free. I can't really recommend the fence I fitted as it is a bit pap, but for £20 what did I expect!

F.

If it's a good price , buy it and instead of a wadkin original build a bessimer style fence or buy Steve Maskeries DVDs and build his fence, which would probably be cheaper than trying to find a wadkin fence but be just as good
Hth David

if it is missing fence, have you checked it still has RK and guard
just a thought as you could be searching for many more parts
but if as you say it is a good deal then maybe still worth the effort
I have recently got an AGS, yet to put in service but looking forward to the prospect of a decent saw

Steve

p.s. and if you decide it is not for you, than if it is cheap I am sure someone else on the forum would be interested

Be aware: if youre buying a fence only the very old AGS saw benches had a smaller diameter bar..
You can get replacement fence and bar set ups from some other makes quite easily that can be modified to work... but they will set you back couple of hundred
cheers

whats wrong with it ?
how cheap was it?
I know you mentioned fence was missing

Steve

Its missing fence and both rails.
Not much less money than a complete one (although they all seem to be at the other end of the country)

Back