Small mobile base single foot lever design clip design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Hey everyone
Soon to be finished this mobile base design ,
Its an attempt to copy that new design of wheel kit that is utilized on the Record Power BS300 ,
and another few machines like the bandsaw and planer thicknesser by the company IWOODLIKE .

I just wish to get the retaining bracket clip whatchamacallit thing to work a bit more user friendly without using
your hand to disengage the lifting mechanism .

I would love to see a better closer picture of this actual part so I can maybe copy it ...
I've done my best with my google searching .

I would love to hear from anyone that has used this wheel kit ,weather or not, it works without using any hands .
I might try something else involving a spring if I can find a suitable one to use .

Maybe I'm missing something ?
I'd love to make a decision on this before I start painting it and moving onto the next rabbit hole :p
Thanks in advance folks
T

Attachments

• SAM_1202.JPG
    SAM_1202.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 308
  • SAM_1210.JPG
    SAM_1210.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 309
  • SAM_1213.JPG
    SAM_1213.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 309
Search Fleabay for 'foot operated gate catch', should be something there you can buy or copy.

Something like ...
s-l500.jpg

That's great Naz
If I'd only seen that yesterday ...or thought of it, as that seems simpler than a spring design :oops:
Still seems simpler though, than faffing around with a spring that might not work if I can't figure the original mass production method ...
I might well take that design on board for the next one !

I still think I will hold out, in hope that someone has one of these bases and it turns out to be simples (homer)
There cant be that much more to do ...Can there ?
I think I have a habit of over complicating these things sometimes ....

That lever catch is looking better by the minute (hammer)

Thanks again Naz
T

I'm not sure how helpful it would be at this stage, but this fellow (Carl Holmgren) has a few variants of that design on his machines. His delivery is a little slow, but the principal of the designs is good. His videos show a number of different evolutions of the design with different machines.

I did toy with the idea of a mechanism like this for my Kity bandsaw but opted for 2 fixed castors and 2 locking swivel ones. Just kick the castor locks on & off with my toe.

Used a sheet of ¾ ply as a base (to stop the legs spreading) and filled in the sides to make a useful under-tool-storage-cupboard for all my broken tuffsaws blades. :-D

[quote

I still think I will hold out, in hope that someone has one of these bases and it turns out to be simples (homer)
There cant be that much more to do ...Can there
[/quote]

I have this system, 2 fixed wheels and two swivel, I am going to change them for a better make and also have all swivel. No need for braked wheels because when you operate the foot plate the whole unit sits on the floor making for a very solid unit. (rubber feet ends). I will post some pics for you.

4_zpsec5mwnjc.jpg

3_zpsjswfcfla.jpg

5_zpsfylosc3w.jpg

6_zpsktitupcr.jpg

2_zpsz8buahoe.jpg

7_zpsdqwi8imf.jpg

hope the link works.

Thank you very much Doubleb
That's very nice of you to post so many pics .....
It certainly clears things up for me :wink:
I'm not sure if all swivel casters is a good idea.... as it might lift it a bit crooked ...
I.e could be problematic if you had something stored that might roll off the table when you lever it up ...
Maybe it wont lift a leg tall enough and it drags on the floor ?

Maybe not though ..Ill find out pretty soon as I painted it anyway and might mount the bandsaw back on
to see how things are working .
I will defiantly post back about this ...I've got quite a sloping floor in spots too, so it will enhance any issues with things falling off the table
or dragging , if these swivel castors are indeed troublesome
Thanks for the help folks
T

Thanks to both you guys for those ideas. Been mulling over something similar for my Ryobi router table, which weighs a ton and regularly needs moving. Mine won't be as neat, for sure, but well worth some cutting and welding.

Hello again
I've since assembled everything back again and thought I'd do an update ..
As you might be able to see, the uneven floor which I thought might be problematic with the swivel castors ..
It doesn't seem to be too bad ...I've got a few rubs now and again but all in all,
If I had the choice between swivel castors and regular I would chose swivel casters for all four .
Also it doesn't lift it wonky either so things stay on the table .

An update on the clip design ...
I decided to try and fettle the clip a bit more and it just about works .. :)
All I had to do was relieve the corners of the clip and I put a heavy chamfer on the mating part of the base underneath .
It has disengaged once while moving but that's better than not unclipping at all and it rolling down a hill !
Horses for courses I suppose
Sweet
Now all I need is a new Tuffsaws blade on this thing and Ill be sorted 8)
Thanks for the help again guys
T

Attachments

• SAM_1233.JPG
    SAM_1233.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 419
  • SAM_1236.JPG
    SAM_1236.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 364
  • SAM_1238.JPG
    SAM_1238.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 148
  • SAM_1239.JPG
    SAM_1239.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 436
Thinking about making this sort of thing, would it be a good/bad idea to have only three wheels? So two non-swivel and a single swivel castor? Can see some advantages, but possibly missing obvious snags.

I can't see why it would make any, if much difference ...
I had to clamp on the castors anyway, to figure out the height for the risers under the casters .
I mentioned that if I had the choice I would pick the swivel casters again for the job ,but I will mention as an afterthought ,
the swivel casters make it a bit awkward to move the saw back in the opposite direction that you've just pushed it ...
and you have to fight it for a second to get the orientation of the casters to the opposite side .

At the same time if you wanted to store the bandsaw in the same way that you would be using it i.e operating position... in front of the machine ,
so you could hold the table and walk backwards ,this might be the only solution if space was tight .
Your proposition might make things easier .
Good luck

I found the quality of the castors was such that they eventually distort the axel carrier and the thing then becomes useless, on the buyers guide forum there is a thread running at the moment where most pundits with the 350S (me included) have or will be carrying out major operations to try and remedy the inadequacies of this system, mainly that it will eventually break/bend.

It could all be a function of the extra 20Kg's over the 300 that break the camels back.

Mike

dickm":3ldcf3d4 said:
Thinking about making this sort of thing, would it be a good/bad idea to have only three wheels? So two non-swivel and a single swivel castor? Can see some advantages, but possibly missing obvious snags.
With a heavy machine you have a chance of it being unstable and potentially falling over.

sometimewoodworker":2ptdtmba said:
With a heavy machine you have a chance of it being unstable and potentially falling over.

I wondered the same... Would a bandsaw be top heavy?

You'd need to make the wheels lift it 'just' off the ground so any toppling would result in the bandsaw legs bottoming out.

Also, these lift kits give the whole thing a narrow wheelbase, which can't help.

Back