Can anyone identify this tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTeroo

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple of boxes of old hand tools at an auction today, amonst them was this:

2016-11-19 17.31.52.jpg

2016-11-19 17.33.51.jpg

Can anyone tell me what it is?

Attachments

• 2016-11-19 17.31.52.jpg
    2016-11-19 17.31.52.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,192
  • 2016-11-19 17.33.51.jpg
    2016-11-19 17.33.51.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,194
I don't think it's for woodworking.

Does it look as if something could fit into the slots and make it into a scraper? The long handle looks as if you would pull it towards yourself.

Could it be a handle for something that gets hot?

The two slits could be moved upwards to house a horizontally running bar and then the side of the object would brace against the bit below the slits. We had something similar which worked on that principle with an ash pan at the bottom of a coal fire although the key part worked more like a hook.

It may be an onion hoe - missing its blade.

Vintage-Garden-Allotment-Tool-Onion-Weed-Swan-Neck-_1.jpg

This allowed a thin (hence sharp) steel blade to be fitted to a forged iron frame.

BugBear

Thanks for your suggestions.

It does feel like it should be used with a pulling action.

If nobody knows for certain it will have to remain a mystery I suppose.

I have several large versions of that, blacksmith made, 5 foot handle etc they were my late father in law's hoes.
Using a piece of cut up saw blade for the blade they excellent tools.
Should be re-manufactured as a way of utilizing all those disposable saw blades.

Andy Kev.":1dqyarfv said:
Could it be a handle for something that gets hot?

The two slits could be moved upwards to house a horizontally running bar and then the side of the object would brace against the bit below the slits. We had something similar which worked on that principle with an ash pan at the bottom of a coal fire although the key part worked more like a hook.

We had one too, but the handle was much shorter. I don't think this one was for household use, but it does look like it's meant for pulling trays out of somewhere hot, possible a kiln or bakers oven.

Back