Dust Extraction for Old Planer Thicknessers (Dewalt 1150)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blevins

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone here got a DW1150? What do you do for connecting it to dust extraction when thicknessing? Or any general tips for machines with no proper dust port?

I bought mine used without the manufacturer's dust hood and have had to make my own dodgy cardboard box that, along with a weak shop vac (1150W), barely sucks in barely any chips. I guess I need a HVLP extractor and a dedicated hood, but it seems hard to attach anything properly to the machine.

I've just been sweeping up old school style, but now I'm trying to thickness thin stock less than a half inch thick and the machine can't even throw the chips out - they all end up on the bed on both sides.

Thanks

Do you mean you are missing the orange metal bit that folds over the top of the cutter-head when thicknessing? If so i'd be scared witless to use my machine without it! Assuming you don't then my experience is very similar to yours.

I made a very basic sleeve, from 6mm plywood, that slides over the orange metal bit and has a hole to attach the shop vac. It works so long as I take very fine shavings, else it all blocks up and the shavings end up being squeezed out on top of the board. I do not however have anything better than the shop vac so did not persevere with the idea.

I normally just wear a mask and have a cleanup job at the end. I have also had to bend the opening on the orange metal bit wider as I find it can block-up on heavy cuts of wide boards.
034. Cladding Shavings.JPG

Sorry not to be more help. Look forwards to see if others have a better story!

F.

Attachments

• 034. Cladding Shavings.JPG
    034. Cladding Shavings.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 316
My old Lurem Universal had no provision for chip extraction, so made a copy of the general style of hoods, which can be clamped to the fence when thicknessing or slides into the thicknesser outfeed and is held there by pressure from thicknesser base when surfacing. Needs a bit of careful fiddling to get sizes right, but collects most of the chips via standard chip extractor. Coul post pic if it would help.
Keep meaning to do "proper" sheet metal version, but after 10 years, why bother?

Ah, ive just made a dust box that's held by magnets next to the orange metal cutter guard - yeah Ive got that fortunately - rather than made a thin hood that would wedge into the thicknesser guard just in front of the blades. Yeah if you've got a photo Dickm that would be appreciated, cheers

Back