Kity Bestcombi 2000 Power Supply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhenry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've just bought a used Kity Bestcombi 2000. It looks great but one question I have is that although I understand the motors are single phase, it came supplied with a 16A plug - is it possible to simply use a 13A converter cable to allow it to be used in a standard 13A household plug or is it necessary to have a 16A power supply installed in my workshop?

Thanks

David

I alway thought they ran on 13 amp.

What size is the motor? I have a Kity planer and saw, both run on 13 amps.

That's what I'd thought.

The circular saw is 1000w input / 750w output. The planet and the spindle moulder motors are both 1500w input 1000w output.

My previous K5 Bestcombi ran fine off a 13A plug although I vaguely remember it might have had a 16A to 13A adapter strapped go the underside of the table.

Thanks

David

No such thing as a 16 to 13 adaptor.
If I read your numbers correctly the whole Thing uses 2,700 watts?
A fast electric kettle uses 3,000.
Just put a 13 amp plug on it. But I wouldnt plug it into a single cable spur. Any ring main socket should do it.

Thanks all for your input. It was an adaptor like n0legs found that I'd been thinking of using. I think I'll order one and see how it goes as they are pretty cheap. If it trips fuses then I'll pick up with an electrician.

Thanks

David

Just take the 16A plug off and wire a 13A one on, even cheaper!

Pete

As i understand this machine, its a 3 in 1, yes?
So you are never going to use more than 1 motor at any one time.
If all three motors together are barely over the safety margin, any one motor will run all day long on a single 13 amp supply.

As a quick follow up I also ran my question past an electrician I met who confirmed there was no issue using a 13 amp plug. I bought a 16 amp to 13 amp plug adapter for less than a fiver and the machine tubs perfectly.

Thanks all for your input

Dave

The start current of motors under load can exceed the run current by a factor of up to 6. Manufacturers often recommend a higher fuse rating so that they do not get complaints if a fuse rated for the run time load blows. Fortunately fuses take time to blow depending on the amount of over current so a short overload may not trip them. I have a compressor which says it needs a 30 A supply, it runs quite happily on a 20A circuit but in this case I think a 13A plug fuse would probable not survive.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back