one thread two questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
In amongst the stuff I acquired recently is a piece of orange plastic with Sandvik printed in it.
Its the kind of shape you would normally expect to hold lots of wall plugs together.
I have a very ancient memory of this having a specific purpose for saws?

question 2. My bandsaw has a plastic circular insert plate around the blade. Its 'orrible, must be a 10mm slot with jagged edges.

Looking around to make a zero clearance insert plate for it I have found some clear acrylic that is the right thickness (5mm). Any good or bad points about using clear acrylic for this?

true, but what would make a zero insert shatter? If the blade hits it it will melt first.

Other than plastic, what about a hard wood?

My bandsaw has had an acrylic insert plate for several years - no problem. Can't help with the Sandvik item. Could we have a photo?

I'll take a pic later, rushed for time now.
Think ice lolly stick. orange plastic quite stiff, 12cm x 1 cm x 3mm.
This a 30 year old memory thants been jogged by this thing, i cant remember what, but I'm sure its not a throwaway

Sandvik used to make a range of files and shapers that had a punched metal strip that was glued to an orange stick. Can't find any pictures on google at the moment. The metal strip could be replaced and might be missing on yours.

Does it look like it had anything glued to one section?

Polycarbonate or HMWPE would be better than acrylic, for the shattering reason. RogerP has used it successfully, but it would not be my choice if starting fresh.

An old kitchen chopping board will provide enough for a dozen or more replacement inserts.

Chas, you know what? next to my acrylic sheet are remnants of old nylon chopping boards. never gave them a thought. Well done.

right, here is the mystery item, both sides.

IMG_1699_zpsuetnspss.jpg

IMG_1701_zpsc5iltzq0.jpg

I just have this nagging feeling it does a lot more than stir the tea.

It's the "file" thingy that Stanleymonkey suggests. There's one knocking round a drawer in my workshop somewhere - given away as a cover freebie on one of the mags in the ? 80s?.

Oh, yes, forgot to say - also totally useless!

Back