Sanding belt breakage - what method is the best fix?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record BDS250 disc and belt sander and recently thought I had a good deal when I bought some sanding belts in different grits from Rexon Spares the other day. Started using one belt and it broke after 2mins and I dont think I was applying excessive pressure or anything!?

Anyway, what do others do when a belt breaks on them? Whats the best method to fix them or even strengthen new weak/cheap belts (which I suspect I have :? )?

depends on the join.
Some are butt jointed and they usually fail pretty quick. if thats what you have, I dont think they are worth repairing.
Some are straight overlap and some are slanted overlap. Straight overlap is noisier than slanted.
I make my own sometimes if I cant get a supply of the grade I want. Its fiddly though. The overlap area (about a half inch) needs to be cleaned of all grit usually with an old file or coarse sanding disc, right back to the backing cloth. Then just super glue one over the other and compress untill the glue is completely dry.

When you fit the belt make sure the overlap is facing away from the sanding direction, or the wood will snag and tear it apart.

If the belt has broken at the joint send them back as they are faulty.

Daft question did you put the belt on the right way as this can cause them to break.

I found out early on that cheap belts break easily and the abrasive is short lived. In other words they're a waste of money, "buy cheap - buy twice" is only too true. :(

Sounds like it was a faulty belt. I've bought cheap belts before and had one or two break but most of them last fairly well.
See if any others break, if they do its probably a bad batch and may be worth just trying to get your money back.

Surely it has to be a faulty belt? I've even delved into the pits of Silverline for sanding belts and never had one snap before.

You didn't buy it from that bloke in Hengoed, did you? (cue Bob :D)

Thanks all for the replies.

The fibre reinforced parcel tape and glue sounds like a good shout! And thinking about it I may have put it on the wrong way in a rush... so probably my fault!

And no Naz, I didn't buy it from anyone in Hengoed :wink:

Back