The time has come.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
The time has come when my disabilities are seriously beginning to curtail my hobby. I have a small unheated garage which I use as a workshop, here I potter using mainly hand tools, my only concession to machines are my band saw, pillar drill, grinder and the dust collector.
I have spent many happy hours in here, making stuff like toy boxes, hobby boxes, etc mainly for the family and more often than not for free just for the pleasure of making it. After all any hobby has to cost something! I am not a serious tool collector and try to resist the urge to collect more (not always successfully) and have built up a collection of hand tools, mainly Record planes, routers, etc and a fair collection of chisels, mainly Marples, but I rarely buy something I don’t eventually end up using. I have build a six foot bench with two large vices, various draws and cupboards to store my collection that has built up over the years and given me much pleasure doing it. I thought about reducing the amount of tools that I have and had a word with my boys but unfortunately they don’t share my interest, and the grand kids and still too young even though they enjoy ‘helping granddad make sawdust’ occasionally. They also have no room in their houses anyway even if they had the interest.
Had a visit from a dealer who kindly offered to empty my garage, including the work bench for a derisory figure and was sent packing. I am not particularly worried because the money has been spent and I still intend to potter as much as I can. I have told the boys the best way to sell my toys after I am gone is not to use a dealer! Looking back, my one big regret is that I didn’t insulate my garage when I thought about it all those years ago. Fortunately I have a side door to the garage and can keep the flap down, use a heater and wear a thick jumper and body warmer in the winter and still enjoy my hobby. Ah well c’est la vie.

Sorry to hear about that Sam,

I think we all dread the day.
Maybe your boys will take up an interest as they get older and want your kit.

My big regret is I did not have the time, space nor inclination whilst my Dad was alive as he was a good woodworker.
However I still get enjoyment (and a lump in my throat) when using the few tools I inherited from him.

I would have loved to have received some of my father's and grandfathers tools, however at the time i was not interested, it is only now in my 40s that I have come to woodwork as a joy. I don't know how you would manage it but it would be great to package up a few bits and pieces and have them held somewhere where they won't get discarded due to house moves, clearouts, etc such that they are available when/if your grand kids find their woodworking mojo.

When my dad died I had to clear out his workshop, and am still using many of his hand tools - I just wish I had not got rid of the scroll saw!
Have you thought of putting down an simple floating insulated floor - 1" polystyrene then chipboard on top - I find cold feet are the worst problem in an unheated workhop

Back