Workshop heating?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I've spent the last 15 years using a small garage that's holy...ier than the Pope and has the thermal value of a wet paper bag; hence I've never bothered with any kind of heating. Indeed I found that even a fan heater was a bad idea as it quickly caused condensation on winter days.

I'm in the middle of a house move, and with it I should end up with a larger workshop, that's also much better built (breeze block walls, insulated ceiling, insulated roller shutter door - though I'll likely replace the door with double glazed UPVC).

It seems then that it'd be a good idea to install some sort of background heat, in order to try to keep the temperature sensible (e.g. above 10C all year round), and with the option of turning it up a bit for the days I want to hack some timber.

It'll be about 9x3m, with a 2.1m ceiling height (29.5x9.8', and 6.8' tall). I make that 56.7 cubic meters, or 2002 cubic feet.

Would something like a small oil filled radiator (with a thermostat) be a good choice, or are there better alternatives?

I was thinking about strapping up a Raspberry Pi with a thermometer and an Internet connection to allow remote monitoring and switching (i.e "I'm coming home from work, bring the temperature up to something nice"), but I can leave that for phase 2 :)

I have a fairly well insulated garage as a workshop - albeit somewhat smaller than yours. Up and over door has been replaced with UPVC windows and 3ft cavity wall below. Access is from house.

As I use it somewhat intermittently I simply use a fan heater on a 20 minute timer - that way I can't forget to switch the heating off! After 20 minutes it is fine for work even if external temperatures are fairly low. If you are using machines these will anyway generate heat and if I start to feel cold just give it another 20 minute blast.

Cheap to install and run, and no problems with condensation.

Terry - Somerset":1udlxfwx said:
I have a fairly well insulated garage as a workshop - albeit somewhat smaller than yours. Up and over door has been replaced with UPVC windows and 3ft cavity wall below. Access is from house.

As I use it somewhat intermittently I simply use a fan heater on a 20 minute timer - that way I can't forget to switch the heating off! After 20 minutes it is fine for work even if external temperatures are fairly low. If you are using machines these will anyway generate heat and if I start to feel cold just give it another 20 minute blast.

Cheap to install and run, and no problems with condensation.
Thanks Terry.

I always got lots of condensation with a fan heater in my current place - though it is damper than a water park.

I have the thought that I'd prefer to minimise sudden large temperature changes. Obviously it would be crazy to heat a workshop to 19C all year round, but I assume it'd be better for machinery (and wood stocks) for the temperature to be a bit more consistent (i.e. use background heat).

I could see myself using a fan heater to quickly warm the air on a cold day if I'm using an extractor (and I find a way of venting outside like I have in the current garage), but I'm thinking some form of radiator would be the better choice for generally trying to keep the temperature consistent.

I use an oil filled radiator. Worth checking when you buy, mine have frostats so will cut in when the temp drops to about 4 degrees C. Only drawback is that they take about an hour for the temperature to rise to make it comfortable enough to take the fleece off. Not really a problem as workshop sessions always seem to follow a meal so just need to remember to turn it up before eating!

I also have a dehumidifier which is automatic so even if it is cold it remains dry and somehow that feels a lot better than going into a cold and damp workshop.

Tony Comber

I avoid fan and convector heaters that have elements exposed to the air that get hot, because I think that there is a serious fire (or even explosion) risk in a wood workshop. I do use a fan heater in my garage, which is a metal shop (plus storage).

In the wood shop I have oil-filled convector heaters, which work well and don't take too long to warm up. I rush out in my PJs to turn them on before breakfast!

Keith

If your new workshop is well insulated you could consider running a couple of radiators off your central heating system particularly if it's a sealed system (combo boiler)
I did this about 12 years ago & its been great with the added bonus that I never saw any noticeable rise in the gas costs, I keep the shop at around 15 degrees in the winter which I find just about right for working in.

shipbadger/MusicMan - that does sound like the best combination; an oil filled radiator on a thermostat for preventing freezing, and possibly a dehumidifier to reduce the risk of rust. I guess I could get a hygrometer to see if there is a problem with moisture first though.

Doug - I'd have to run some plumbing to get hot water into the garage unfortunately - though it does have a cold water feed; such that I could add a boiler (it's a two story annex with a garage on the bottom and a potential office space on top). I was hoping to not do that though!

Hemsby":2qc46vq3 said:
I Don’t normally have heating in my workshop only a dehumidifier but seems like we might be in for a cold winter so I was looking at this one earlier today

http://www.delonghi.com/en-int/products ... ifications

It is £140 at John Lewis with 10 year guarantee

http://www.johnlewis.com/de'longhi-drag ... r/p2155844

That looks exactly like the one I use in my 80 square metre, fully insulated workshop. On cold days a wood burner is blazing away, but at night and at weekends that De Longhi is running. I've got a recording thermometer and it shows that over the past few years the temperature has never fallen below 5 degrees C and it's very rarely below 8 degrees when I open up in the morning.

I'm getting the hint that DeLonghi is the way to go :)

I've also been learning that home automation software has come a long way (e.g. https://domoticz.com/), so in the medium term it would be good to have background heat to keep tools safe, but then to remotely crank the temperature up (say, from work) ready for when I get home. Not sure how I'd do that with an oil filled radiator - perhaps have its thermostat set high, but then use the automation software to turn it on/off and monitor temperature.

MusicMan":1aqb7ipc said:
I avoid fan and convector heaters that have elements exposed to the air that get hot, because I think that there is a serious fire (or even explosion) risk in a wood workshop. I do use a fan heater in my garage, which is a metal shop (plus storage).

In the wood shop I have oil-filled convector heaters, which work well and don't take too long to warm up. I rush out in my PJs to turn them on before breakfast!

Keith

Hi Keith
I use on of these https://youtu.be/EJ_0TZ29cr8 on my fan 15min before I go out.
Wifi socket works great you can even pre time it. Had them on my water features and arbour lights in the summer. Also use them on my bird box cctv cameras.

Just installed this in my 8 x 5m shop which has the insulating properties of an ice cube! Its 18kw, arcotherm vertigo indirect diesel heater.
f029ecfc2d3b0d07feee4eac1ffc1e1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Back