Turning chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave2339

Reaction score
Hi just started turning as a hobby I have bought a nova comet 2 with chucks ect
My question is I am looking for a good set of turning chisels
Around £150 any one know of a set suit a complete beginner
I used to turn at school some 30 years ago but not turned since then
Any suggestions welcome thanks dave

I started turning about 18 months ago and went through lots of gouges, scrapers. skew chisels and whatnot before I settled on a few core tools that I use all the time. If I was starting now, with the knowledge I have, I would buy the Axminster HSS set. It covers pretty much all the bases for a beginner. I have bought a couple of those tools separately and they are decent quality - certainly good enough for starters:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hs ... set-400228

With your budget you'll have enough left for a bench grinder to keep them sharp:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... der-505194

selectortone":2376updb said:
I started turning about 18 months ago and went through lots of gouges, scrapers. skew chisels and whatnot before I settled on a few core tools that I use all the time. If I was starting now, with the knowledge I have, I would buy the Axminster HSS set. It covers pretty much all the bases for a beginner. I have bought a couple of those tools separately and they are decent quality - certainly good enough for starters:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hs ... set-400228

I started with that set. It's ok but the bowl gouge is not a bowl gouge, despite what they might claim. It's more like a long spindle gouge - the flute is too shallow for a bowl gouge and the wings are too short. When you get to the stage of wanting to grind them back for a swept profile you will really struggle.

I have the Robert Sorby set and would not hesitate to recommend it does everything that I want. Once you have that it is just a case of buy as you need you will soon fill a rack of great tools

do you really need a set?
depends how far you are from a shop i guess
but just get what you need and add to it when needed

Steve

Personally id go for second hand ebay, just getting one of each basic type. Gouge, parting, skew, scraper and add as you need.

Any of the well known names should be fine if you do want a set like the ones Nev mentioned.

There is a lot to be said for not having matched sets -
DSCN2064.JPG

Plus another 10 or 12 all different - it's easy to pick up the right one.

Attachments

• DSCN2064.JPG
    DSCN2064.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 1,023
Phil.

I love that set of tools. Not one aluminium or carbon fibre handle.
There's some history there. Bet you wouldn't be without any of them.

ATB Bob

Thanks to all who replied , I think a Robertsorby set may be the choice I make, they seem very popular
With a lot of people , I work long hours so purely a Sunday morning hobby
Really hope to make a go of this hobby many thanks to all just wanted a honest opinion from the persons that use them then a dealers one
Thanks dave

Latest posts

Back