Fire pit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of a 'fire pit' for next years bbq season... perhaps more than just a hole elegant circled with rocks.

I think I have seen some in 'stone' (probably cast) - but cannot seem to find an outlet in this country (may not be able to afford one anyway....). Would concrete be resilient enough to contain a wood or charcoal fire?

Anybody have one? or done the same investigations?

Why not cast a strong concrete mix and form the dish using a dustbin lid or similar?

i would be wary about using a concrete base, many years ago on a building site we built a bonfire on an old concrete base, after about an hour or so the concrete started exploding and was shooting biggish lumps 20-30ft in the air, it got so bad we had to clear the site till the fire went out,

Brentingby":28t1rbv4 said:
Another option would be to find an old tractor wheel rim

I use an old clamp-on-secondary-tractor-wheel (??). I cut the screw-clamp part out and used the five clamping arms as legs for the fire pit. Some awful welding of heavy angle across the bottom for a 'grate' and it's perfect. Plenty of airflow under it too (in fact, enough airflow for a whole chicken) :-D

100_6900.jpg

Yes, that chicken actually squished itself under there for a dust bath.

100_6902.jpg

dynax":10jsi27y said:
i would be wary about using a concrete base, many years ago on a building site we built a bonfire on an old concrete base, after about an hour or so the concrete started exploding and was shooting biggish lumps 20-30ft in the air, it got so bad we had to clear the site till the fire went out,

That's interesting Mike, not something I ever came across but must have been scary and so quite right to advise against. How big was the fire?

Anything remotely porous or cracked would have a tendancy to explode when the moisture inside it is turned to steam by a fire ... I would think? Slate is a great example (damhikt).

as Naz stated, it was more than likely the moisture content within the base which was cracked to start with, the fire itself was only made up of pallets and old timbers, it was late in the year and cold, so the moisture content would have be high,

Thanks for the replies - lots to think about.

I am not overly fond of a *permanent* rusty structure in the garden, and neither am I keen on exploding concrete. I was hoping for an ornamental and useful object, but maybe this was too optimistic.

The pondering continues.....

A condition on a planning consent we had for work to be carried out on the farm 4 years ago decreed that an
archeological survey of the proposed site would have to be carried out. This took the form of two archaeologists watching carefully as the topsoil was removed by a large 360 degree excavator.
They were two very happy people because they came across a small fire pit. This took the form of a basin shaped hollow in the ground some 5 inches deep with a plate size hollow surrounding that. The whole was surrounded by stones.
Carbon dating of the hazel ashes in the fire pit dated them at 3500BC.
I would find such a design more attractive than either a concrete one or an old wheel centre.
I also was very happy as i do have an interest in history.
Russell

Alder":11bfquo3 said:
(....) a small fire pit. This took the form of a basin shaped hollow in the ground some 5 inches deep with a plate size hollow surrounding that. The whole was surrounded by stones.
Carbon dating of the hazel ashes in the fire pit dated them at 3500BC.
What a lovely surprise. Did you manage to keep it, even keep using it?

A simple fire pit with local stone surround is one of the possible solutions. We have a lot of local stone (iron-stone I think it is called locally).

No the fire pit was in the middle of the site. I have retained the stones. My Geology is not good but they are a white stone and show signs of heat damage.
Russell

What about a raised stone built fire pit?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stone ... siKU2eM%3A
I used to be dry stone waller 20 odd years ago, it's not rocket science although perversely it is an art form. I'd do it that way personally for many reasons. I'd probably wonder about venting and more importantly controlling the venting at the base.

Theres a simple (more expensive) method using lined fire bricks here: http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoo ... e-fire-pit

I'm now wondering about digging up a chunk of my patio so cheers for that. :|

Cheers
Chris

My attempts at mortar-work have certainly not qualified as an art-form. And 'a dirty hole with rocks around it' does not seem to be on the approved solution list. Still, we have quite a few months to cogitate.

I have an old cast-iron cauldron (potje) which could double up as a temporary portable fire basket. It has a lid to smother the flames at the end...... might be worth a try next year.

Back