Beading Plane Blade Angles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a set of wooden beading planes by Malloch.

All work fine…. except one, the 5/16 the blade of which has been’ modified’ in the past by persons unknown.

Anyway, I’ve decide to bite the bullet and re-shape the thing from scratch. I don’t have a problem with the method, I just need to know the bevel angles on the elongated sides.

The nearest I can describe the profile is to compare it to a rugby ball cut in half; the eventual cut shape will reflect the compound of the bed angles and I can trace the shape from the sole of the plane.

The pointed end curve that cuts the crown of the bead is a conventional bevel, however what sort bevel angle is needed on the sides in order to scribe the sides of the bead, which to my thinking is more of a scraping action than a cut?

Thanks in advance for advice.

I had a pair of "fat quirk" beading planes from Philly Planes, which get used for beading muntins and drawer slips. They're bedded at 55 degrees and don't have tear out problems when working in Rippled Sycamore, Bog Oak, Tiger Oak and all manner of contrary timbers.

Drawer-Slips-2.jpg

Attachments

• Drawer-Slips-2.jpg
    Drawer-Slips-2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,105
that looks an interesting piece of timber, custard. what is it?

Back