Inexpensive extractor for my DeWalt 745 table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpenteire2009

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've a small workshop 15' x 12' and my recent acquisition of a DeWalt 745 table saw is proving a real problem where dust is concerned. Prior to getting the table saw I'd been relying on a Lidl/ Aldi wet and dry vac for my dust extraction. This seemed to work well with my router table and small bench-top bandsaw etc. However this machine is just not up to the job with the DeWalt; after any cutting at all the workshop is destroyed and long term I'd be worried about my lungs, quite apart from the nuisance factor. I'm on a low budget so I am hoping that the good people here can steer me in the right direction for a low-ish budget extraction solution (I may upgrade in the future when funds allow!). The Record Power DX1000 looks to be good value, would this be any use for my machine? I see it has a 4" port, how would this work with my machine? I've already constructed a 36mm extraction hose for the main outlet (at base of blade/ outlet) with a Tee-off to the crown guard, again 36mm; all made to work with the existing extractor but power was not sufficient and extraction was poor with both hoses in use. If the Record extractot would work what kind of hose/ adaptors should I get? Any advice or comment is very welcome, especially from anyone with a similar set up, thanks.

For my smaller machines I have a Nilfisk twin motor hoover. I picked it up at a carboot for £40. They come up on ebay and generally don't make much. The older grey ones are really well built with castors and decent filters that don't need replacing. I had a check for sold items and found this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/nilfisk-extra ... SwNRdX7PrZ
These things cost a fortune when new. They haven't got nasty screemy motors either

Thanks Wallace, unfortunately bootsales here are very few and far between and it's unlikely I could pick up something like this, so ideally I'll need to look at a brand new purchase, hopefully for under €300, including hose and adaptors etc.

On my 745 I use a Draper 10923 50L 1100W which works very well cost me £96 in 2014 still going strong. I think it has been replaced by another model 1000w, now about £110

Just a thought :idea: have you checked for a blockage. It is possible for a small offcuts to get trapped below the blade near the dust outlet. Best checked with the blade removed

I use a CamVac it has 2 motors and they come with either a 4" or 2.5" (63mm) inlet I have the 2.5" inlet and this fits my Dewalt 745 directly on the outlet on the back of the saw although I have not tried the mod shown where it connects to the top also as linked by Cordy. however I have the 2 motors going on the Camvac which is the equivalent of 2 Kw. I use the Camvac with a homemade dust extractor/separator so only have to clean the camvac once a year which is handy as it is also used with a wood lathe and most other power tools in my workshop. The separator is a 60ltr airtight storage container used with a dust commander attached to the top.

I've taken a few photos to show my current set up. Hose is standard vacuum hose 36mm or thereabouts, the outlet on the saw is approx. 58mm, which the supplied adaptor reduces down to 36mm. The current vac doesn't have sufficient power to extract from the crown guard, due to the large open area/ volume of this part. Extraction from the lower outlet isn't bad as the blade is well enclosed with less "leakage", all simple physics I suppose. I'm very disheartened by the mess just cutting some MDF has generated, the dust is everywhere, so if I have to be more realistic about my budget for a decent extraction system so be it. Thanks for all the input to date.

Attachments

• DSCF1215.JPG
    DSCF1215.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 273
  • DSCF1216.JPG
    DSCF1216.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCF1217.JPG
    DSCF1217.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCF1219.JPG
    DSCF1219.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 278
Hi carpenteire2009 if its of any interest if you take the rubber adapter off the back of the saw (which comes with the saw) the 2.5" pipe fits direct into there from my camvac or dust separator or indeed any 2.5" pipe system

The tight Hairpin bend in your hose is a killer; needs to be as straight as possible

Maybe buy a cheap 2nd vacuum extractor and have one for bottom port and one for the top. If you add an auto switching starter they can both come on automatically.

The pipework is a big cause for loss of power in your existing setip.

Thanks for all the replies, I've been busy the past few days so only looking at this now. I don't want to run a second vacuum cleaner for the crown guard outlet- floor space is at a premium and one machine that does a good job would be prerable, rather than 2 noisy vaccuums with extra hoses and power cords to trip me up! I've seen those DIY options, very clever but I'd rather buy a readymade solution, my budget is tight but free time is even tighter. I was passing a local-ish industrial suppliers yesterday and called in to buy a another roller stand for my saw. While there I picked up a Record Power catologue with details of their dust extraction solutions, plenty of info but I'm still confused. I think I'll drop them an email and see what they suggest. I'll report back!

Ok, back at this again. I contacted the technical department at Record Power for some advice (what a rigmarole- you have to register to send a query). Anyway after a few messages back and forth (not altogether convinced about the technical know-how, afterall my requirements are fairly basic I would have thought?) I was told this would be a good solution:

CamVac 336-4 2Kw machine, with appropriate castor set, hoses, reducers/ adaptors etc. I need to price this in Euro form my local suppliers, but this will probably be close to €600, maybe more. An awful lot of money, especially when I see some of the negative feedback on these machines, which appear to be a beefed-up vacuum cleaner (I suppose what else could they be?). I'm as confused as ever!

Cam Vac is a good machine and you do not have to spend that much and if you shop around I am sure you will find a 2.5" Cam Vac(think Record have stopped selling the 2.5" version but some dealers still have them in stock) and as in an earlier post it comes with a hose that connects directly with the Dewalt 745 on the back I know I have both machines.

Back