Only 4 quid from the tip and charity shop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
e697c30967e8a40ce2a1cec9d1a4d8d9.jpg

6b560b5934c8c670d4eb74fdf6766e9d.jpg

I don't necessarily need the tools (besides the cold chisel) but for 3 quid from the tip for the chisel,unnamed bullnose/chisel plane and disston tenon saw I had to buy it !
ff84b478f0d66b89571b8029ee536a32.jpg

The Stanley brace was bought as a gift- only a quid ;)
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

nice finds there, it will be well worth cleaning the saw and brace n bit up, I love seeing old saws come back to life.

That unmarked plane is a Stanley 90 - still quite a popular model with joiners, I think.
You did well!

thetyreman":1mqxj919 said:
nice finds there, it will be well worth cleaning the saw and brace n bit up, I love seeing old saws come back to life.
My first proper tenon saw was a disston brass back. I'd love to restore this one but think it might take a fair amount of time to do properly. The handles pretty split and knackered, perhaps it might glue up.

AndyT":1hpahrif said:
That unmarked plane is a Stanley 90 - still quite a popular model with joiners, I think.
You did well!
Cheers Andy, I can't quite believe that ! I thought it must have been a cheapy knockoff cause I could see no brand and to remove the iron you need a screwdriver. I think i must have been confusing it with a shoulder plane. I've just popped over workshop and sure enough under a bit of rust, there a small Stanley name on the end of the iron. It baffles me why someone would chuck it out ! The guy before me was buying a blue pretty little screw on table vice. If only I had been 5 minutes earlier.
Coley

The saw looking at it wont take very long to make into a really good addition to your tool collection. I did a thread on restoring and sharpening a hand saw which Andy was kind enough to add a sticky. Don't get too worried about any pitting of the blade, for the majority of users it just means that the saw may need sharpening twice a year rather than just once!

Was that fairly recent ? I seem to remember reading one recently seeing the transformation.

Coley

Bloody good finds for four quid, nice one! I'm just in shock over the no. 90, it's in practically new condition too.

ED65":2npvbg3r said:
Bloody good finds for four quid, nice one! I'm just in shock over the no. 90, it's in practically new condition too.
Thanks. That's what made me think it must have been a knock off. I let my work mates kid have it yesterday after demonstrating why it was a unique tool made for a certain job. I did cringe when he started easing the side of a t and g tongue with his hand in close proximity. I advised him to secure his workpiece properly first and wait till dad sharpens it for him [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
I just picked these 3 up for 50p.
68533a3ac0b89283524734729e9422b0.jpg

The hacksaws the one I'm most interested in. My best hacksaw ever in terms of tension was a 'ding dong' I bought from the charity shop. I partly bought it for the name, but it turned out to be an awesome tool. I feel today's offering mighten be quite as good but for 50p who am I to grumble ;)

Coley

Today's offering. Picked this up on the way to my travels
3055b7728c9234398a72ad6906aff116.jpg

5 quid, seems really sturdy ! Need to find a use for it.
On the way back from my travels, about 4hrs later I couldn't believe my eyes. About 5 trays full of tools. Alot of tat, but rummaged through and got this collection for another fiver.
ee79e33d0a86c4b43fa3324e3c839d5a.jpg

The g clamp and extension lead will come in handy. The pad saw handles one of the most comfortable I've felt ! I really need to stop collecting gouges now. I must have a range from 1/8th of an inch up to probably 1 1/4 now, only mainly use 1 though :lol:

Coley

The G-cramp has lost its little foot, but if I were you I'd drill a blind hole in a scrap of hardwood, put a bit of metal at the bottom of it (one of those roofing nuts would do nicely) and make myself a wooden foot which won't need an extra piece of wood to stop it from marking the work.

I did a similar thing to AndyT, except I used an offcut from the end of a 1" round nylon bar. It's still there 20 years later.

P.S. Anyone else having trouble with a quoted reply ? I tried with this post, but there was no 'Submit' button on the quoted-edit screen.

Some good ideas there, thanks guys [WINKING FACE]

Just out of curiosity I thought I'd try the vinegar rust removal thing. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised when I saw the chisels after a few days
29c6fa4af6c2543a6fefbc10908f371c.jpg

It looks like it's peeled the rust clean off !!!
Visited a couple tips yesterday but left with nothing- seemed like alot of rubbish :lol:
Always feel somewhat dissapointed when I leave empty handed so thought I'd pop into an odds n ends shop on the way back to see if they had any bargains.
ecaed06afa367a7dda37f815a5ad8d39.jpg

For 8 quid I thought it was a pretty good deal, I seem to have 4 of these now- this one being in the vest condition and possibly my favourite.

I think the disston tenon saw might be due a vinegar bath soon !
Coley

I have two of the Triton stands I got them as Amazon Warehouse returns at a really good price.
I find them really usefull, you can stick a 2x4 in to act as an extended support, with the same 2x4 can angle them to hold things up. Can put a really long bit of timber in to hold up plasterboard.
Before I got my Axminster saw bench I had a Triton 2000 workcentre which again was an amazing price as a warehouse return. No damage of any kind just the cardboard packaging was bashed about so had to sell it as a second. I had a brute of a Triton circular saw in and....... a little plastic dust bucket.
The fence was dead accurate but the saw made a hell of a racket though could get a a nice clean depth of cut of 50mm, up end and put through again to get 100mm but bad practice as the blade guard would have to be off. I also found there was a safety concern using the support for the guard, the support was only an oblong of aluminium with the guard on top. Even though everything was square and set up correctly. As I was feeding the timber it would stall and then get scorching or step cuts. I found myself quite often having to force the work piece, which I didn't feel happy about,the dust extraction on top of the guard was quite dinky. I could have got a thicker plate and teeth whatever to clear the support. I didn't do that because of the safety so I sold it.
I also got a Triton router table and stand again at a really good price as an Amazon return. To me from what little I know does seem quite a sturdy, rigid set up I have a Dewalt 623 in it.

I seem to recollect replacement saw handles are available but surely wouldn't it be easy to use the old one as a template and cut on the bandsaw?

Seems like triton stuff is well made. I might have a go at making the saw handle, but I'll see how the blade turns out first ;)

Yesterday and today's wombling
9018406eab9d87ed62e1fba1228d44d0.jpg

The screwdriver could do with straightening, I've been after a stiff churn type brush for ages. 1 pound each from the tip.
My favourite charity shop use to have a nice selection of tools, but recently haven't had that much lately.
The worker was putting out new stock today, even his rubbish/not worth selling crate was full of perfectly usable tools.
061292729d7da07c3ee97382792a62f5.jpg

50pence an item, £2.50 for the lot !! The hairs on my arm were stood on end for about 15 minutes afterwards. I didn't even realise marples made tenon saws till I saw it :lol:
Coley

Back