Routing MDF doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantseeitfrommyhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make some MDF doors for a wardrobe. They need to feature a decorative profile nominally 50mm in from the edge (in the psuedo style of a raised panel door).

I'm trying to think of the best way of making a template guide to enable me to route these without the risk of the router wandering even a millimeter from the template and writing off the door blank. How can I secure the inner rectangle without fixing to the door blank or obstructing the router path? #-o

Any suggestions greatfully recieved.

Double sided tape?
Or pin the template to the doors and fill holes afterward before painting?

Good ideas.

Is the 30mm guide bush likely to play nicely in a 30.5mm pathway, particularly when changing direction, without binding up?

put the templates in place and before you actually run the router, do a dry run to ensure it can move freely throughout the full route.
Your main issue will probably be build up dust but you can probably alleviate that by having a second person holding the vacuum cleaner close to the router to suck away the majority of the dust before it has chance to build up.
If possible you also want to do the routing in stages until you reach the full depth (hoovering in between) to minimise the dust produced in each pass.
Having said that i've never had any trouble routing MDF, its just very dusty.

Back