Shooting a particleboard edge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLFaria

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I need to straighten (more properly said, to shoot) the edge of an 18mm thick, 600mm long melamine-faced board. The amount I need to remove is about 1mm at the the most.
As I live in an appartment, I must use only handtools for cutting.

I'm not skilled enough to make it straight and square with either with a surform or with a rasp. No way trying to saw a 1mm thick band.

The only thing that comes to mind is handplaning the edge. If need be I'll do it, but I hate the ideia of putting a plane to a melamine-faced (both faces) particle board.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited: "ege" for "edge"!

have to agree about sanding, there's no way you can do that with a particleboard without messing up the finish of it.

plane it and resharpen the plane after.
if its 1mm. mark it with a pencil on both sides and plane a bevel on the melamine till your pencil mark disappears this will reduce tear out.
then plane the core till its flat.
there are other ways of doing it but that is what i would do
all the best
rob

+1 for shooting board. You can use particle board to get a good straight edge, and clamp the work to it - don't even need a stop though that would help. Fine cuts on the plane and a sharp blade of course, for the melamine.

Thanks all for your advice.

So, it boils down to sanding or planing.

I don't use sandpaper very often, and certainly have none in any grit approaching 40, but that is easy to fix and I will probably give it a try with a sanding block carrying a fence.

I do have a shooting board, but not that size. I have made a removable fence for one of my planes, which works quite well on wooden boards. But just the idea of putting a plane to this kind of material... And any blade sharpness would be killed on a couple of passes, I guess.

Thank you

Well, I ended up with a mixed approach.

Locally (meaning doing it without gtetting in the car and driving 5km) I could only find down to 80 grit. I started with that, but the process was quite slow and dusty.

Then I remembered I still had somewhere one of those horrible things that B&D sold in the 70's under the brand name Handyman, which I had kept with the intention of some day making something out of it, possibly a glorified sanding block or so. With *that* I wouldn't mind rough-planing that edge.
I fished the thing out, didn't even mind fettling it (besides, those things are properly "un-fettable") just gave the iron a quick sharpening - and it worked well enough.
I then finished the edge with the 80 grit sandpaper, and there it is.

Guess what? I am going to keep that "Handyman" as is, a sort of a plane, it may be of service some other day :)
Thank you for all the advice.

Back