which lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slemishwoodcrafts

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be upgrading my lathe in the coming months and my budget is roughly £500. Now, I've always wanted a Record Power lathe having used one in the past and I loved how solid it felt. They also have a large diameter turning capacity. So I am swaying towards the CL3. But, I would love variable speed without having to change belts.
So the Axminster AWVSL1000 caught my eye. It has variable speed and a bigger motor than the CL3. It doesn't give a maximum turning diameter, but axminster have told me it can turn big pieces provided they are well balanced and not too heavy.
I don't want to go second hand, I've never owned a new bit of machinery before so this will be a treat for me that I have worked hard for.
Now, do I buy the CL3 and make do changing belts, or is the Axminster a good lathe to go with? For near enough the price of the Record I can get the Axi lathe with a new chuck, faceplate and floor stand and it has a more powerful motor.
Help and advice greatly appreciated.

I had an earlier version of the Axminster lathe you're looking at and it was ok. It was a bit big and the tail stock was quite wobbly. I sold it and got the smaller 1416VS and have found that electronic variable speed is much nicer (and quieter) than the mechanical system on lathes like the AWVSL 1000.

I too have recently purchased an Axminster 1416VS & it's brilliant for my needs, I love it! The capacity over the bed is plenty for me. The spindle capacity is short but again, suits my needs. I upgraded from a cheaper RP lathe & am delighted I did so.

It is over your budget @ around £700 new. I picked mine up second hand for £500.

what is your existing lathe- it would be useful to be able to use the chucks and centres that you already have.

Also, if you go for the CL3, there is always an option to upgrade to VS later on.

I had an Axminster M900 which is an even early version. A good solid lathe but I think I only ever used the full length of the bed once in about 15 years.
I bought it initially for the rotating headstock to turn larger bowls but again didn't really use it that much, especially when the toolrest extension snapped off.
Like Woodpig, I've just upgraded and downsized to an Axminster 1416 and it is streets better in quality, so it's really down to what you want to turn?
The variable speed is brilliant and the lathe almost silent in running so you might want to just stretch your budget? Certainly go and have a play with one.

I need the extra capacity to turn larger diameter pieces. Getting asked more and more now for bigger platter style dishes and my wee lathe just ant cope anymore! The 1416 looks solid but just wouldn't do what I'd need it to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back