How to mark accurate mitres?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm after some advice on how to mark up some mitres on a picture frame deck.

I'm not that skilled so I'm hoping it's quite simple.

It's a normal 3 x 2 metre deck, however I have had to cut the frame around a few obstacles, a wall pillar and drain and it's now ready for the boards.

How and where do I start?

Should I mark the angles on the frame first, then cut the first mitre, place it on the mark, however how do I mark the other end accurately when I can't see the mark (hope I'm explaining this right).

Should I cut all the frame first or screw it down as I work my way around?

I have the choice of either biscuiting or doweling the mitres, which would be best?

As you can tell I'm a bit of a novice therefore any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

It sounds like the board against the house wall needs scribing around.

Can you work out the length, by measuring the perimter joisting and adding on the overhang each side?

Cut the board to scribe, place it in position, offsetting from the house wall enough to clear obstructions keeping it parallel to finished position. Mark scribe and cut.

phil p":3ccfvj3t said:
I have the choice of either biscuiting or doweling the mitres, which would be best?
I don't think it matters. Whichever is easiest for you to do accurately is probably the right answer.

Back