Help a newbie: Walls if you would like plasterboard interior

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mecha GG

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm close to ordering materials for my workshop/office build. It's mainly going to be used as an office, with some smaller DIY projects. I was planning to make the walls like the example in this excellent post by Mike Garnham:

build-a-shed-mike-s-way-t39389.html

In Mike's example the walls go (from interior to exterior):

-OSB (which also acts as the Vapour Barrier)
-50x100 studs (filled with mineral wool)
-breather membrane
-battens (to allow air gap)
-Cladding/whatever you like for exterior wall

I was planning this

-Plasterboard
-Vapour Barrier (plastic sheet, as I don't have OSB)
-breather membrane (TF200)
-Cladding (haven't decided)

I notice some builds I have followed on this forum have OSB 11 between studs and breather membrane. Is this needed in my example?

This forum has been an excellent resource and has really inspired me- I'm grateful for any help!
Thanks!

Gary

I could well be incorrect but I think the OSB also provides the rigidity to the building (it certainly did on mine). so I'd go ...

plasterboard
battens
-OSB (which also acts as the Vapour Barrier)
-breather membrane
-Cladding/whatever you like for exterior wall

having OSB board to clad the framework is certainly a key factor in rigidity.

Without the boarding, diagonal cross bracing should be used for lateral stability. Its easier to simply add a layer of osb board, which can be added either to the inside face or outside face of the studwork.

For a belts and braces approach, you may want to consider using foil backed plasterboard which is also a vapour barrier and isnt much more money than ordinary plasterboard.

Many thanks mateys.

I think I will go with the OSB on the outside after all, if it helps with rigidity and doesn't impact the airflow/moisture. The 11mm OSB I was planning on using isn't too expensive.

If your going to use OSB why not use it inside then plaster board over the top , this will make putting any fixing up easier plus I'm not sure what advantage your going to gain by putting the OSB outside you would still need to clad over this .

I put Osb on the outside of my build. I did it to get the basic structure as weathertite as possible as quick as possible, then allowing me to work on the inside at my leisure.

F.

if you are insulating with mineral fibre, then osb on the outside may be best. It will ensure a dead flat surface for the breatheable membrane, so you can make the outside skin water tight before the outer cladding goes on.

If you only have the breatheable membrane on the outsdie, there is a risk that the mineral fibre will bulge out.

I used 12mm moisture resistant plasterboard (green) and painted it white to line my shed.

Back