2000 grit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malcg

Reaction score
Anyone recommend a cheap source of abrasive sheets?
l tend to use a lot of 1000-2000 grit for finishing Talking Sticks l make for people. Usually source via Amazon or EBay.

dont go for cheap- go for quality which will last longer and be better value.

Abranet would get my vote. it seems to only go to 1000, but what are you sanding at that grit- wood or a lacquer? if you really needed to go finer, then i would hit it with the finest grade of scotchbright. I have only used the Mirka Mirlon which was very good.

I assume that talking stick is walking stick, but if you had a strip of each grade of abranet and went through the grades, this set of strips would do quite a few sticks.

Whats a talking stick? 2000 seems awfully fine unless it is laquer or paint, I only go to 1000 for polishing plastics.

Just Googled this
The Talking Stick is a tool used in many Native American Traditions when a council is called. It allows all council members to present their Sacred Point of View. The Talking Stick is passed from person to person as they speak and only the person holding the stick is allowed to talk during that time period.
............Probably not what is being talked about, but had a thought ..... wouldn't that be a great object for the House of Commons, or the Lords?

Alexam":11rt2qk9 said:
............Probably not what is being talked about, but had a thought ..... wouldn't that be a great object for the House of Commons, or the Lords?
Yes! :D

Not cheap to purchase but lasts a long time, Rhyno-Grip Plusline abrasive to 400 grit, then red and yellow nyweb pads (600 + 1000), then if you want to push the boat out into finer waters, Micro mesh pads, 1500 to 12000 grit.
Other vendors are available :)

gets a finish like this...

susbowl2.jpg

More pics

Attachments

• susbowl2.jpg
    susbowl2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 1,158
Rhyolith":2kr0ikbf said:
Alexam":2kr0ikbf said:
Yes! :D

Wouldn't help - that lot are at their most dangerous when they're all politely agreeing with each other.

And the speaker (pretty much) makes them talk one at a time anyway.

BugBear

Malcg":35utywyq said:
Anyone recommend a cheap source of abrasive sheets?
l tend to use a lot of 1000-2000 grit for finishing Talking Sticks l make for people. Usually source via Amazon or EBay.

I go through tonnes of this doing highbuild gloss finises

you need to look at paint & automotive finishing suppliers as they are the main market.

abtec stock 80 - 2500 grit, in 25 packs http://www.abtec4abrasives.com

but i also use malthouse products for both fine sanding discs and sheets (plus all my masking papers), they are a trade automotive finishing supply business so generally only operate B2B http://www.mhpltd.co.uk

Back