Help with lathe thread.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkie

Reaction score
Hi All,
Im a novice to turning having owned a small mini sip lathe and having great fun with it, now thats been sold as id like something with more power and turnable head. So iv purchased a secondhand robert sorby lathe (cost £195) small problem with controller but that's being dealt with.
On the sorby lathe site, iv seen the manual/information on it and it says that they made them with 1' x 8tpi or m35 x 3.5.
Mine unfortunately is neither after going to axminster and purchasing both faceplates to test.
So i took the main head in to check in there shop, they believed it to be a 1' x 12tpi... so i ordered a faceplate with insert. On receiving this iv found that its not the size either, the insert will go on for about 5 turns then locks up as the thread is not correct.
Checking the thread the closest TPI is 13 with a thread gauge i purchased.

The lathe serial is 9501093

Any help on this would be gratfully appreciated as id like to buy a chuck for when its running, im feeling withdrawl symptoms and cant wait to loose a day in the garage making things.

kind regards
martin

Many thanks

Thanks guys, after searching how to measure the thread for m25 x 2mm iv found that's the size.

wilkie":24pqq3hr said:
Thanks guys, after searching how to measure the thread for m25 x 2mm iv found that's the size.

I THINK that was the size used by Tyme for their Avon lathe. Worth checking with Axy or others as it just might give another lead to bits for the lathe.

Back