To grease or not to grease? - SDS drill bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using a Metabo SDS drill for a while but am unsure whether to grease the sds bit or not - When I bought the drill I greased every time, but after a few months hard work the end cap of the sds chuck popped off. It seems the grease had made the rubber seal very soft & sticky, and this had then stuck to the chisel as it moved back & forth, even though I had kept everything as clean as possible. I obtained a new chuck from Metabo and have been worried to grease the drill bits for fear of the same thing happening!! The drill bits slide nicely as long as everything is clean, though the application of some sort of lubricant does seem appropriate.... anyone know if there is a special sds grease or something?.. what about silicone lube?

When I bought my Kango SDS many years ago, it came with a tube of grease and I always grease the bits. Never had any problems. I would think general purpose grease would be OK - don't see why you would need anything special.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I just use ordinary grease on my DeWalt and have had it for about six years or more without problems.
I've just had another look in the users manual to check and there's no mention of using any special grease.

Jack. :)

The manufacturers tend to supply (and recommend) molybdenum disulphide grease. I think that's because it doesn't break down easily and won't rot the rubber in the chuck. It may be overkill and a way of selling accessories (although they could do just as well repackaging bog standard grease). It isn't expensive from a motor parts shop (fiver or so for a tub which will last forever).

I have owned a Hilti TE10 for about 15 to 20 years and never even thought of greasing the bits and its still going strong. No one I know greases sds bits, I have seen the grease tubes that come with the larger Kango type sds drills but I wouldnt bother with the smaller ones.

i have only greased my sds once when i got it, it get used daily onsite with no problems

On the posher ones, you are supposed to put a bit of grease on the end of the bit which goes in the chuck. I do this once in a while, the instructions say every time I think.

On the cheap heavy lumps, I think they have a grease reservoir which has to be filled up (they use more, apparently).

I dunk the end of the bit into a pot of multipurpose grease before inserting it when it looks like the chuck could do with it. I also give the chuck a quick wipe down every now and then but other than that I just let the drill get on with it. I've probably not applied any grease for 3 or 4 months now with moderate useage.

Maybe I should have read the instruction book! Never heard of this before, I have a Metabo sds thats 10 years old and I don't think its ever seen any grease.
Maybe I should start. :worried:

Have had a bosch for 20 yrs was used every day for 12 yrs window / kitchen fitting has never been greased and still perfect, but now its been mentioned

studders":1g733pfo said:
Although you don't have to grease them I've found they do cut noticeably(sp?) quicker if you do.

That's interesting, I always assumed you lightly greased the end that goes in the chuck, to minimise wear of chuck and bit, but that wouldn't make it cut faster would it ?

Am I putting the grease on the wrong end ? :shock: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

paulm":25hp5of8 said:
studders":25hp5of8 said:
Although you don't have to grease them I've found they do cut noticeably(sp?) quicker if you do.

That's interesting, I always assumed you lightly greased the end that goes in the chuck, to minimise wear of chuck and bit, but that wouldn't make it cut faster would it ?

Am I putting the grease on the wrong end ? :shock: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

You is greasing the right bit Paul. :lol:

The drill bit can get very hot and dry metal on dry metal will slow it down quite a bit, even with a cold drill bit. A bit of lube eases the friction hence faster drilling.

You tend to find that the cutting end of an SDS drill bit or chisel is well kernakerd before the part that fits into the SDS chuck is, so greasing is a bit pointless.

I assumed that the grease was more to protect the chuck than the bit since the chuck will be expected to last much much longer. Considering how many times the bit in an SDS drill moves forwards and backwards I think a bit of grease is probably not a bad idea.

I remember being quite surprosed how hot the chuck and bit got after 20 minutes of chasing in hard brick and that was with grease reducing the friction.

Well that just about sums it up! I'm sure the grease I used in the first chuck damaged the rubber seal leading to the failure, I'll use a light grease that doesn't react with rubber in the future, I'm sure I've seen something in the motor trade. Other than that the drill has been superb at everything I've thrown at it (Metabo UHE 28)

I have just greased my medium sized breaker (about 13kg breaker) as it had a grease chamber, with 50 grams of Lithium-Moly Grease. Apparently on this model it was recommended after 50 hours of use.
HOWEVER I then thought it may be a good idea to treat my Bosch Drill GBH 2-26 that ive had for 10 years and never greased. It must surely need some as everytime for the last 10 years that ive change a drill bit it comes out with grease on it…but how you get it in there i don’t yet know, pls advise there.

A useful reminder i have learnt is to remember to keep your chisel bits sharp as it puts less strain on your machines, they won’t get so hot when sharp and used within there limits..

Latest posts

Back