Thoughts on the new Skelton Sash Saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks to me pretty much like a late 18th century saw which in my experience are second to none and have stood the test of time.
Cheers, Richard.

Drop dead gorgeous would be my vote. And lovely to see handles in such top quality Indian Rosewood.

Rhinestone cowboy saw.

This chap'd love it!

Wagoner_289x400.jpg

Boots to match?

Ariat_Billie_side_grande.jpg

I like the way Skelton follows Kenyon design and take it to the 21st Century

Kenyon+broken+Ogee3.JPG

(sold on ebay a few years ago. I've got the permission of both, buyer and seller to use the pistures.)
More here pedder-altedamenauskiel.blogspot.de/2010/10/gebrochene-kenyon-with-broken-handle.html
and a scan here: http://pedder-altedamenauskiel.blogspot ... enyon.html

I allays wanted to make a copy of that but instead I'd buy a Skelton.

Derek, Andrew's clearly saws weren't the model. You should look closer before statin such things. Even some of Andres saws look familiar, the work was done a few decades ago.

Cheers
Pedder

Derek, Andrew's clearly saws weren't the model. You should look closer before statin such things. Even some of Andres saws look familiar, the work was done a few decades ago.

Hi Pedder, I am not clear what you are saying but there's a negative implication there. So ...

Here is the SS saw in question ...

Saw-comparison1_zpspxmiytpk.jpg

Here is a saw of Andrew Lunn (The Eccentric Toolmaker, for those who do not know the work of Andrew) ..

Look at both sides of the red line I have drawn in. The left has a slightly different interpretation of the Kenyon design (a picture of which you posted above). The right side of the line is what caught my eye.

Saw-comparison2_zpsupsyxjod.jpg

I am aware that this photo does not show well the area of the lower and upper horns, which would be more pronounced if taken from a different angle (I own one of Andrew's saws and am familiar with this). Here is a better illustration of the point I am making ..

Saw-comparison3_zpsj97uscsj.jpg

Look at the horn area in the ET saw I have, and then return to the SS saw above ...

EccentricToolworksCarcaseSaw_html_5ed2e9d3.jpg

Now I happen to like this feature, and have used it on my own saws, which is why it caught my eye.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Pedder, I am not clear what you are saying but there's a negative implication there. So ...
Derek,

English is fare from being my mother tongue. To me that sounds like: look he's copying Andrew.
Wich is certainly not the case case. The details you refer to, are older than Andrew.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Cheers
Pedder

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Hi Pedder

No problem. I should have been clearer when I made the first (quick) post. I should have amplified what I meant, and this being that Shane's saw reminds me of the style of Andrew Lunn. I agree with Peter that Shane has a cleaner line than Andrew. I prefer what Shane has done - not to take anything away from Andrew who was building saws in a different "era" - not that long ago - and Andrew deserves recognition for his taking the baton from Mike Wenzloff, and then making his own mark on the saw making scene.

My eye immediately went to the curve of the handle and the horns in Shane's saw. No doubt you focussed on something else.

You can see the similarity (in the horn/handle area) to these two saws I built. While cleaner lined than Andrew's, they were influenced by his work ..

5JoinerySaw.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have only two buts on my 18" tenon saw, because it is a very old design. But I do indeed have the feeling that I must tighten them more often.

Regarding the design, and this is purely subjective of course, I think the top horn is a bit too heavy. And I think that it looks a bit too perfect, almost machine made. Just as if a router made those chamfers and round overs. The lambs tongue is lovely.

I like the design...I like the research that has gone into the historical accuracy...I love the way they work but most of all...it is fantastic that there is an old style British saw maker making saws again.

20150706_151744.jpg

I am currently reviewing the sash saw...which just arrived...and will post the link when done.

20150706_145407.jpg

20150706_144622.jpg

Cheers

Jimi

Back