The Speetog Elect

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I was asked today whether I have bought any nice tools lately. I've bought very little, but one that I like is this. It's a bit like a small pair of pliers and a bit like an adjustable spanner, as the jaws remain parallel across the range of adjustment.
It's also a bit like a Mole grip, as it will lock on if adjusted right.

It's also got a wacky, memorable and easy to Google name. :D

speetog-elect1.jpg

speetog-elect2.jpg

speetog-elect3.jpg

speetog-elect4.jpg

If you do search for information, you'll find this handy listing at Tooltique showing one which must be a bit newer than this, as it has the proper patent number, not yet allocated on my one.

https://www.tooltique.co.uk/shop/speeto ... no-576142/

So, it's over 60 years old. It's also useful, so watch out for one!

I can count on you to brighten my mornings Andy. What a brilliant find that is. The more I look at it , the more I want one, form , function and even aesthetically they appeal to me. Kudos amigo.
P.S. Just showed them to my wife and she wants them too. she says they would fit her hand perfectly and pocket friendly size would make them a work place boon.

Glad you like it Mike. I bought it to see what it was like and am very glad to see that it's a practical, useful tool. They do anything a small pair of pliers would do and the latching action makes it good for holding small things for soldering or filing too.

The name seems to be associated with welder's clamps, presumably with a similar locking action. The inventor was presumably a better mechanic than he was a manufacturer - and the 1940s can't have been an easy time to bring new tools to the marketplace. Even so, there must be some more out there waiting to be found and given good homes!

Well , here's hoping that some of them emigrated to Canada then, as we probably don't go to the same sales amigo. Cheers to you're curiosity sir , it's served you well, may it always do so.

Ebay Price just rocketed 25%. Andy T effect. God and I've been after one of them for years too. :shock:
That's a nice little tool. Thanks for posting Andy.

IIRC I saw one of these a long time ago, but didn't know what it was for.

TBH still don't! What does the patent claim?

BugBear

bugbear":2rtgv9yt said:
IIRC I saw one of these a long time ago, but didn't know what it was for.

TBH still don't! What does the patent claim?

BugBear

It's all here

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publica ... &KC=A&ND=4

- but Edgar Dale Ball had many similar patents, which I have not studied in detail, so you may have some reading to do!

I did notice that the claim includes a feature not found on this tool, but familiar on the Mole wrench - an extra lever to tip the clamped jaw back and release it. Busy on other stuff at the moment but might have a look later.

Back