Table saw buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

space.dandy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a table saw for around the £500 - £700 mark. Space is a concern, so I'm looking for something that can be stored fairly compactly. I'm not fussed about fancy features and would rather have few features that are top quality than many that are poor. I'm a light/hobby user.

I'm currently looking at the DeWalt 745/7491 or the Charnwood W619, both of which seem good and meet my needs. I have two questions:

1. Can anyone comment specifically on these choices?

2. Generally, would I be better buying what (I think) is an entry level cabinet saw like the Charnwood or a top of the range job site saw like the DeWalt for the same money?

Thanks for all advice.

with your budget have a look at the axminster ts200, or the ts250, both get good reviews and have induction motors, but out of the 2 you're looking at the charnwood would be my choice, also have a look at some used machinery, there are bargains out there,

I guess the first question should always be, what do you need it for?

I looked at table saws because I wanted to cut down sheet materials (MDF and ply), then I realised with limited space, I really needed a track saw. Much more compact and portable, which was perfect for my small work area.

If you're looking for a table saw for other uses, then the Axminster ones mentioned above get great reviews.

dynax":18x0kjqk said:
with your budget have a look at the axminster ts200, or the ts250, both get good reviews and have induction motors, but out of the 2 you're looking at the charnwood would be my choice, also have a look at some used machinery, there are bargains out there,

Would the Axminster be your preference over the Charnwood, DeWalt, or both? Also, why is an induction motor is preferred?

depends on what i was primarily cutting, the charnwood with it's large table and sliding carriage is ideal for sheet materials but you need the space to use it, the axi's are a good all rounder and the use of induction motors makes them quieter and use less power iirc they are 1100w compared to others which can range from 1500w upwards, the dewalts are good if space is an issue and can be stored away when not needed, it may also be worth looking at the Scheppach precisa range of saws too, it all comes down to what you want to use it for, and the space you have available,

thick_mike":2afc7b2j said:
I guess the first question should always be, what do you need it for?

I looked at table saws because I wanted to cut down sheet materials (MDF and ply), then I realised with limited space, I really needed a track saw. Much more compact and portable, which was perfect for my small work area.

If you're looking for a table saw for other uses, then the Axminster ones mentioned above get great reviews.

Mostly I work with softwood and sheet ply, which I have halved or quartered at the shop to make more manageable. My next project though is a couple of oak foot stools, and probably something with drawers. I don't envisage doing anything 'finer' than that.

Space is an issue -- my 'shop' is a prefab concrete garage, with barely the footprint of an estate car. I need something which has a small footprint when not in use, or which I can incorporate into a multi-use bench, etc.

I want something that will serve me into the future, so would rather focus on quality and accuracy rather than size -- I can easily make a small saw bigger, but it's difficult to make an inaccurate saw better (I've learned this the hard way).

I've looked at the Axminster and one thing that puts me off is that it has a non-standard mitre slot, unlike the Charnwood or DeWalt. I'm not sure how much that matters.

are you sure that the dewalt and Charnwood have "standard slots"? 3/8 x 3/4?

the Charnwood spec is 15 x 7mm, with the 19mm being the "T". in reality, other than getting a better a mitre gauge, it isn't that restrictive.

I'd be amazed if any of the smaller saws had a standard mitre slot, and it doesn't really matter anyway, but hey, movin' quickly on...

... If you want to cut up sheet stuff, get a track saw. Ideally either a Festool or a Makita. You can also get a knock-down assembly/cutting table from CNC Design in Wrexham, for around 150 quid delivered (they also sell the dogs to use). It's a poor man's MFT table and will allow you to cut a lot of things with excellent accuracy. If you go that route, a 3m rail is under 200 quid (from Makita - Festools run on it too), which means you'd be set to cut up sheet goods lengthwise as well as crossways*.

Tracksaws occupy one size-4 Systainer when put away, plus somewhere to store the bag for the rails. Tablesaws just sit there in the middle of the workshop, waiting for you to walk backwards into them (whereupon they snigger, I'm certain of it).

Beware though: unless I misunderstand how it operates, you can't use an MFT arrangement with a DeWalt tracksaw, because it has a rubber strip on both edges of the track (i.e. the track is reversible). This is pretty dumb on DW's part: although it makes no difference really when cutting up 8'x4' sheets of chipboard flooring, you can't align the rail with confidence against stops, which you do with an MFT. Most of the inexpensive tracksaws are probably unaffected by this limitation though.

I have the sliding carriage for the TS 200. There's no way you could use that for anything bigger than a cut of around 70cm, because the track is too short, and there is no support for sheet materials hanging out to the left of the carriage. A full size panel saw has a very different track and carriage - the track will be about 15 feet long for a start, and it will move and cut a full sheet of material with ease! Someone is sure to pop-up to dispute that ("I cut a panel 20 metres long on my TS200"), but honestly I wouldn't consider doing it that way, especially on my own.

Hope that helps. but in the interests of balance, find an Axminster shop near you and have a look close-up at the TS200 and TS 250. I think they're good value, especially the TS 250.

But also look at Makita and Festool rail saws while you're there. That's a tough: The Festool has a riving knife and a range of good accessories. The Makita has 2.5mm deeper cut**, a scoring feature (which works well), and an anti-tipping system to keep the saw planted on the rail when cutting bevels. and it's a bit cheaper. Both work really well and many (but not all) accessories can be used with both systems.

I have a Makita, I like it, but I'm torn as to which I would buy again if I had to, as there are so many good things about the Festool. You'd have to decide for yourself.

Or get a tablesaw... :)

Have fun!

E.

*obviously a 3m rail won't magically work on a smaller table. I use a bit of 8x4 polystyrene insulation to rest the stock on, and cut on the floor.

**Festool, of course make two sizes of rail saw - the TS 75 is quite a bit bigger than the TS 55 (which has a 160mm blade). The Makita has a 165mm blade as standard, but will work with 160mm ones..

I had a Charnwood, model down from the one you're looking at and with some expert guidance from more experienced users it actually proved quite a capable machine. I had a look at the W619 at the woodworking show earlier this year at Newark, it was a much better specified machine and I was tempted to order one. In a garage workshop. it would have been a bit tight handling full sized sheets on the one I had (might be easier on the W619 with it's sliding carriage) but as I can't fit full size sheets in my car anyway it's not really a problem I had. I did buy a Festool TS55 and found I was using that more and more to cut my pre-cut sheets to final size. I replaced the able saw with a bandsaw - which I love - however there are times when I think a table saw would be a better choice. If space permitted I think I would buy the Charnwood to supplement the track and band saws.

just out of interest i have looked at the most recent reviews of the axi saws and i would think twice tbh,
fwiw when i chose mine or i should say it chose me, i was reviewing a few options and in the end narrowed it down to 2, i couldn't make my mind up, my 2 options was the scheppach hs105 or the evolution rage 5s, the latter was not going to be available for another 3 months, so i flipped a coin as to wether i should get the scheppach or wait for the evolution, i got the scheppach and in all honesty i am so glad i did, and apart from a few niggles it has and is doing everything and more that i need, and since then i have done the coin flip when i have been undecided on tools and i have a scheppach scms, and a scheppach basa 1 bandsaw ( i wonder if my coins are biased :shock: ), so sometimes it's better to let fate decide,
but if you do and is goes pear shaped don't blame me :lol: , happy hunting,

The DeWalt 745 has a brush motor and the saw is LOUD.
If you're concerned about noise levels then an induction motor table saw might be a better bet.

Its good that Axminster publish all the reviews of their products, but if you read the reviews of the TS250 saw, take them with a pinch of salt, I doubt some of the reviewers even had the saw, one of the reviewers says its no good as a site saw!!!!!!!!! at its weight its impossible to lift, let alone put in a van and take to site, another review complained about belt breakages, and says he had taken off the belt and motor guard, what did he expect.

Have a look at this thread if you are interested: axminster-ts250-2-modifications-t102284.html

Mike

For what it's worth...I was working with a bloke who builds high end fitted furniture a while back. He used a track saw to cut up all his sheet goods and looked at me like I was demented when I mentioned table saws. I've since recognised that they're total overkill for knocking out single items of furniture in a garage.

Eric The Viking":1335vlh5 said:
But also look at Makita and Festool rail saws while you're there. That's a tough: The Festool has a riving knife and a range of good accessories. The Makita has 2.5mm deeper cut**, a scoring feature (which works well),
FWIW if you need a scoring cut with the Festool you can run the saw backwards with a 1mm cut, works perfectly on MFC

AJB Temple":thcs8hqd said:
In my experience, in a DIY set up, a table saw does not earn its keep.

i have to disagree, i did post this somewhere else but i can't find it, at the moment i'm doing some planters for the garden and i need around 30 of them, to buy them would stand me at around £3600, to buy par timber to the dimensions i need would cost £2100 to make them, buying a lump of 8 x 3 in a 4.8 m length costs me £25 which comes in at £750 for all of them, i could use a bandsaw to resaw at and i do for some of it but it is much quicker with a table saw, so even with the outlay of the tools they will have paid for themselves atleast 3 times over if not more by the time i have finished, and i have other projects in between doing them aswel,

found my other posting, it's in the "how much does woodworking cost " thread,

I said, "in my experience". You can't actually disagree with it, but you can relate a different experience of a production line of planters. The table saw is the least used machine in my workshop. It is handy to have for some tasks: the last time I used it was ripping Iroko slats for a bench refurbishment. However, for breaking up sheet goods a tracksaw is easier. The problem is for most people, who have limited workshop space, a table saw takes up a lot of room and since it is idle most of the time it is not a good use of space for many people. Each to his own.

I use my table saw all the time, in fact it is rarely not used. It makes a great stand for the mitre saw and band saw.
only time it's not used is when I need to use it's actual function, in which case it has to stay clear for the day or 2 that I'm doing stuff with it.

I needed it to do the kitchen, now I'm done it doesn't do much more than occasionally size timber. as it stands now I could probably sell it for pennies and have a workbench instead. maybe I'll clear it off and give it some use at some point soon. :)

The table saw vs the track saw debate goes on, I can see the track saw use when cutting full boards to a manageable size, but from that point on the table saw is the better tool to cut the boards into usable strips, easier to set up and repeat cuts and with a decent mitre slide easier to cut them to length, I suppose its horses for courses in the final analysis, but my table saw gets used most days, track saw once in a blue moon, in fact I think I will get rid of it, the last full size boards I cut on the table saw as it was there and did not need the laborious job of getting the tracks out, setting up a table of some kind, clamping and re-clamping to cut repeat widths.

Mike

Back