Table saw buying advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the 745 but sold it on for a few reasons:

1) in a 4x2m shed it just wasn't practical space wise. Sure, it'll take sheet goods, but in a small space with anything else in it (e.g. a workbench!) it was all too close quarters. Longer crosscuts (anything over ~400mm) weren't the easiest to manage given the small table either.
2) it was bloomin loud.
3) while the rack and pinion fence was good for a contractor saw, I didn't find it accurate enough reliably enough.

I picked up a TS55 and have been more than happy with it used in conjunction with a couple of MFT type benches. Setting up for things you'd ideally do on a table saw (narrow rips for example) takes way longer... but then I'm not making a living off of it so my time is my own. All the rails and other assorted accessories take up next to no room too, as well as the saw itself packing away in a small systainer. The other nice [read: wallet threatening] use for the Festool rails is the compatibility with their routers and diamond cutting tools which all work off the same rails.

I don't use it for long repeated crosscuts (> 1m) or mitres - that's when the mitre saw comes out.

edit: oh, and the dust extraction with the TS55 kicks the 745 squarely in the nuts.

Just to follow up on the question of mitre slot size on the DeWalt 745 that a couple of people mentioned.
I just checked my one and the t slot is 3/4".

Many thanks for all the replies so far. You've given me a lot to think about, and I'm now questioning if a table saw is the best option after all. The MFT plus track saw sounds attractive.

Eric The Viking":1kemzkqg said:
But also look at Makita and Festool rail saws while you're there. That's a tough: The Festool has a riving knife and a range of good accessories. The Makita has 2.5mm deeper cut**, a scoring feature (which works well), and an anti-tipping system to keep the saw planted on the rail when cutting bevels. and it's a bit cheaper. Both work really well and many (but not all) accessories can be used with both systems.

I have a Makita, I like it, but I'm torn as to which I would buy again if I had to, as there are so many good things about the Festool. You'd have to decide for yourself..

What good things does the Festool have over the Makita? Are these the best two brands, or should I consider others?

space.dandy":2p56eqbo said:
Many thanks for all the replies so far. You've given me a lot to think about, and I'm now questioning if a table saw is the best option after all. The MFT plus track saw sounds attractive.

I reckon you will be better off with a track saw too.
You might want to consider some form of MFT as there are several options.
Or even just a simple method of repetitive cutting with a track and parallel guide system.

As Mike said, the track saw versus table saw debate isn't going to get resolved in this thread. Furthermore, I hate sounding like a fanboy; skill will always trump kit, so it's daft getting over excited about any tool.

But it's worth pointing out that in terms of accuracy, repeatability, and cut quality, the results I get from this,

Saw-01.jpg

are virtually identical to the results I get from this,

Saw-02.jpg

Just sayin'

Attachments

• Saw-01.jpg
    Saw-01.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 774
  • Saw-02.jpg
    Saw-02.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 774
Nelsun":1xgzl4if said:
I had the 745 but sold it on for a few reasons:

1) in a 4x2m shed it just wasn't practical space wise. Sure, it'll take sheet goods, but in a small space with anything else in it (e.g. a workbench!) it was all too close quarters. Longer crosscuts (anything over ~400mm) weren't the easiest to manage given the small table either.
2) it was bloomin loud.
3) while the rack and pinion fence was good for a contractor saw, I didn't find it accurate enough reliably enough.

I picked up a TS55 and have been more than happy with it used in conjunction with a couple of MFT type benches. Setting up for things you'd ideally do on a table saw (narrow rips for example) takes way longer... but then I'm not making a living off of it so my time is my own. All the rails and other assorted accessories take up next to no room too, as well as the saw itself packing away in a small systainer. The other nice [read: wallet threatening] use for the Festool rails is the compatibility with their routers and diamond cutting tools which all work off the same rails.

I don't use it for long repeated crosscuts (> 1m) or mitres - that's when the mitre saw comes out.

edit: oh, and the dust extraction with the TS55 kicks the 745 squarely in the nuts.

The 745 had the most accurate and repeatable fence of any table saw i have ever used, i sold mine as i stopped doing much site work, regretted it every day since, i will be buying another in time, for fast repeatable cuts you cant beat it ,

custard":5d1y4zd8 said:
As Mike said, the track saw versus table saw debate isn't going to get resolved in this thread. Furthermore, I hate sounding like a fanboy; skill will always trump kit, so it's daft getting over excited about any tool.

But it's worth pointing out that in terms of accuracy, repeatability, and cut quality, the results I get from this,

are virtually identical to the results I get from this,

Just sayin'

Custard

It may be worth mentioning how long it takes between cuts on both, setting up is the main bug bear with a track saw to me, takes a long time compared to a well set up table saw.

Mike

What's the actual noise difference between the various saws? 745 is allegedly loud. What's loud? 105 decibels? What's quiet? 60?

I have no idea what the numbers are. But a scientific comparison would be useful (to me).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A lot of the noise difference can be the blade, different blades different noise levels, but saying that the difference between an Induction motor and a brushed motor is the most significant, an induction motor can be almost silent, in fact I can't hear my table saw running with the extract going and that is over four meters from the saw.

Mike

MikeJhn":1w7727gw said:
A lot of the noise difference can be the blade, different blades different noise levels, but saying that the difference between an Induction motor and a brushed motor is the most significant, an induction motor can be almost silent, in fact I can't hear my table saw running with the extract going and that is over four meters from the saw.

Mike
When actually cutting there's not that much in it between a brush motor and induction if ear protection is worn.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

space.dandy":2n0oexw5 said:

We're fairly close, I'm at the other end of the Solent. If you drop by the workshop you can get some hands on experience of an MFT and a track saw versus a table saw.

PM me if you think that would be helpful.

my table saw has a 2000w brushed motor and is quieter than my shop vac which is a 1250w earlex, and when i have ear defenders on i can barely hear the table saw but can still hear the vac,

space.dandy":a8vieddz said:
What good things does the Festool have over the Makita? Are these the best two brands, or should I consider others?

Both will do the job, but if you buy the Makita, one day you might think "I wish I'd bought the Festool"
If you buy the Festool it's very unlikely you'll ever think "I wish I'd bought the Makita" (IMO :) )

dynax":yqvp2mv7 said:
my table saw has a 2000w brushed motor and is quieter than my shop vac which is a 1250w earlex, and when i have ear defenders on i can barely hear the table saw but can still hear the vac,

Same here. Mine screams when the impellor is gummy.

If yours is an older Earlex (mine is probably ten years old or more), you can open the motor and clean crud off the impellor. It greatly improves the noise. Mine has a plastic impellor housing with a pressed steel cap over it that's an interference fit. Put the motor in the freezer for a couple of hours, then the lid slides off easily (I think I push on a diameter with a broad screwdriver usually, but it doesn't need force). You can then get to the metal impeller, and with care dissolve and scrape off the crud build up.

But they are noisy, compared to, say, a Henry. I've often thought about putting mine in some sort of soundproofing box, but it's low on the list at present.

pcb1962":2zkh18ul said:
space.dandy":2zkh18ul said:

Both will do the job, but if you buy the Makita, one day you might think "I wish I'd bought the Festool"
If you buy the Festool it's very unlikely you'll ever think "I wish I'd bought the Makita" (IMO :) )

I'm genuinely not sure about that (either way). The Makita's anti-tip feature has saved me having an accident several times, but then a riving knife is sensible too (and only the Festool has that). And the Festool splinter guards are also a good idea.

If the Festool had anti-tip, it would win, but the Makita 3m track is a steal in comparison to the Festool one! Of course both will run well on both brands of track.

If you decide to go with a table saw over a track saw I am selling my Startrite TA165.
I find I'm erring towards the tracksaw more & I'm borrowing the Father in laws' garage as a work space, so I cannot justify the space taken by the table saw.
I'm in Somerset.

Back