super wrenches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
ok so not quite woodwork, but bare with me.......

About 10 years ago a uni mate of mine went to a bike show (as in motor bike) and came back with some "super wrenches".

A few weeks later he told me how good they were and I told him to grab me a set when he sees them next.

6 months later and the next bike show comes around, I get a set.

DSCF3486.jpg

DSCF3487.jpg

Not the tool for all jobs, but one hell of a hand when things go wrong.
typical uses are basically anything thats hard to grip or is ceased. They also come in handy for plumbing jobs and anything that involves gripping a bar/shaft. Think mull-grips on steroids.
The advertising as I remember was a picture of a guy holding himself up on a scaffold pole with 2 of these. They basically grip what ever is in the jaws harder the harder you pull down. The jaw is spring loaded and by releasing pressure and rotating back against the spring the wrench can be "rachetted".
The jaws are serrated so damage occurs (naturally) to whatever you are using the wrench on.

I think I paid around £40 10 years ago. They were advertised at the time for bikers to carry with them instead of a set of spanners.

I`ve found them really useful over the years. Just thought they deserved a heads-up as they got me out of a stuck situation again today (ceased bolt).

steve

I have recollections of these being sold some years ago at the Axminster show when it was held at the Bath and West Showground at Shepton Mallet.

The chap selling them was holding the wrenches andhanging off a scaffold bar and there was no slippage. The other thing he showed was a really mangled nut with no flats left and these wrenches gripped and undid it without any problem.

Misterfish

yup. Cheap and nasty soft nuts and bolts are an issue these days (for me at least and the cheap stuff I sometimes buy).

I've loosened up many rounded nuts with these.

sounds like it may have been the same guy.

well worth a look if anyone ever stumbles across them.

Steve

Anyone know what happened to these guys?

I am trying to get my hands on a 4" and 6" wrench.

misterfish":nzale5js said:
I have recollections of these being sold some years ago at the Axminster show when it was held at the Bath and West Showground at Shepton Mallet.

The chap selling them was holding the wrenches andhanging off a scaffold bar and there was no slippage. The other thing he showed was a really mangled nut with no flats left and these wrenches gripped and undid it without any problem.

Misterfish
The guys still sell every year at the Mid Somerset Show opposite our Beekeeping tent, still doing pull-ups on the scaffold bar. Not on till August though.

Phil

Interesting, I've never seen these before. Do they cause any damage to hex heads in use?

Hi

Its a clever idea but I'd be very careful with them in use - if you have something that seized and rounded the chances are it will shear rather than undo and then you're in a whole new world of pain. My approach to anything that won't shift by normal means is to get localised heat onto it either by MIGging a lever onto it or the application of oxy acetylene. Failing that split the fastener with a grinder or nut splitter.

Regards Mick

For this whose purpose is to prevent damage/slippage to fasteners, I find these (sometimes) useful:

https://www.stanleytools.co.uk/product/147567

They're the offspring of the mating of adjustable spanners with mole grips.

They hold tightly, even out slightly "out of spec" head sizes, and cause no damage.

One of those tools you don't need very often, but when you need it, you need it.

BugBear

Back