Summerhouse project...some questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CIRCADIA777

Reaction score
I've moved into a house with a large (17'×11') summerhouse and although I originally planned to demolish it and build something more permanent, finances have to be directed at the house so am trying to do the best with it on a tight budget.

Only the front was cladded so I've wrapped the other 3 sides with breather membrane, battened and reclad it and it's starting to take shape. Now for the inside I have some questions...

I'm going to clad it (probably 11mm OSB) with some form of insulation. I can get enough of the foil stuff for about £60 but understand it's very limited insulating properties or enough 8'×4' sheets of polystyrene to fill the voidsfir about the same. I won't be using the space as a workshop or be spending long amounts of time in there but I'd like to regulate the temperature to some extent and minimise condensation. Would either of these cheap options help or are they not worthwhile? Are there any other options?

The structure is built on a (slightly uneven) concrete flag base with two inward opening doors. I'm not sure if I can do much with the floor because since the doors will hit anything I put down. Is there any way around this? Is there much to be gained anyway from insulating the floor? (I was going to put down some vinyl and rubber matting around gym equipment anyway).

Personally I think that the foil insulation is as good as a layer of bubble wrap and a bit of tin foil. I will let you imagine how insulating that is.

Regarding the floor. Probably not much you can do apart from those interlocking foam tiles.

Could you keep a couple long tube greenhouse heaters in there? That should keep the chill off. Perhaps a dehumidifier on a timer ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back