Startrite 351 ED-SB/UK-1 Handbook

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleara

Reaction score
I have just purchased a secondhand Startrite 351 ED-SB/UK-1 which dates from 2008 but I don't have a manual or information on the maximum saw blade width. Does anyone have a manual or softcopy for this or perhaps the non education version which I guess is 351 SB?
The length of blade is an abnormal 2720mm so I think I'll be getting custom made ones by tuffsaws. Any other recommendations on which saws in the range I should be considering for mainly sawing blocks of hardwood for making blanks for my lathe appreciated.

Hello
If your looking for the manual just to find the maximum blade width, don't bother.
Manufacturers claims on nearly all bandsaws are ridiculously overstated.
If these claims were not BS, they would state the thickness of the band also.
If you were to follow their guidelines and fit the max blade width, your saw would fold up,
permanently ???, and depending on the tensioning system,
you stand the chance of stripping the threads
( the next model up has fairly beefy tension, don't know bout your saw though)

Obviously your looking for a thin gauge, I'd be looking for 3/4" or under.
Tom

I rarely read manuals but as I am completely new to bandsaws and I want it to last a lifetime I'm hoping to find a manual especially if I need spares in the future.
I was thinking generally of 3/8" and 1/2" but for rough cutting of raw timber I was wondering if the 3/4" SuperTuff Sabrecut would be a good investment all using 3 or 4TPI ?
The motor on this saw is rated at 7.5A so I guess that equates to 2HP so it's reasonably beefy, the modern equivalent being the 403/UK1.

I have a old 352 and the maximum is listed as 3/4" which I use regularly ( Tuffsaw blades), for straight cuts. The old ones are built like a brick s***house though don't know about later models.

Bob

Yes, it is made in Italy in 2008, it's a grey/brown one. Photo attached.
I have been sent the manual for the Startrite 351SB / 301SB by Record (thanks for their support). For most purposes this should be adequate but the specification isn't the same as mine because for a start it says 1HP whereas mine is 7.5A which is clearly different.
I probably need to ask any contacts in the education sector as this is where it has come from.

Attachments

• bandsaw.jpg
    bandsaw.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 32
Back