Stanley vs. Norris

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
I rarely post my posts on various forums at the same time (actually, I can't remember having ever done it in the last 12 years), but since you guys are familiar with the Norris side of things, I thought I'd copy this here (just posted on wood central) to see if I can start either discussion, or if there are any loyals, outright argument if that's all you can muster:

I've been picking up some planes lately, usually I do something like that when I am looking for a plane to copy. I like spiers panel planes a little better than all but the oldest norris planes, but I haven't been able to find anything long in spiers that I think I'll be able to get back out from under when I'm done (translate, I want to be able to resell one for what I pay). So I've gotten three beech norris planes - one panel plane and two A5s. I'd rather have the older planes as their style is a little better, but they are priced to the moon.

I like to play with the planes, of course, to see if I can find what people really thought was wonderful about them. I've only received one of the smoothers so far, and I can't find any deficiency with it other than the adjuster - which would be a deficiency for all of them, and which I thought was a dud in a spiers copy that I made years ago.

I'm looking for tips for anyone who has really thought about fine adjustment on those planes. For coarse adjustment, I just loosen the lever cap and turn the adjuster. Leaving the cap tight creates several problems (above and beyond the fact that it's known that it can damage the adjuster eventually). When you loosen it, the adjustment changes slightly once you tighten it - not a big deal for coarse adjustment.

When you are doing fine adjustment, though, the only way I can get reliable small changes in the adjuster are to leave the lever cap tight, put a little bit of tension on the adjuster in the direction that I want to make the change (deeper or shallower cut), and then loosen the adjuster slightly to let the tension off and re-tighten it. I don't know if that makes sense, but it works. It's also about 40 times less handy than just tapping the top of an iron with a small hammer to adjust depth.

The vs. stanley part is that with the cap iron working and the depth set, I think it works about as well as a good stanley plane (with the cap iron set). The A5 that I have is 5 ounces heavier than my stanley, but I can't notice that much in use. There is more slack in the stanley adjuster, but it's something you don't actually notice in use because the fine adjustments can easily be made, anyway, whereas there is a little more trickery needed in coaxing the Norris to make fine adjustments.

When I copy these planes, two things come to mind - the handle shape will be a little bit more human and less machine, and I will not put an adjuster on the plane as it is a complete piece of cake to set feathery iron depth on an adjusterless plane by just loosening the lever cap while the plane is on a board, re-tightening it (at that point, it will just be pushing a little dust off the surface and almost cutting) and giving the iron one tap with a small hammer.

One other thing comes to mind, I think the stanley is more practical once one knows how to use the cap iron, both perform about the same. I'm sure that the norris planes may do better without the use of the cap iron unless one fiddles with things on the stanley that are otherwise a waste of time once you know how to use the cap. BUT, slowly getting to the point - the discussion for a novice plane buyer talks about how great the early Norris planes are, how great the norris type adjuster is, and how the late model norris planes are no good. The first statement is probably true - the shaping, cap iron screw, irons (when they were Ward), infill...those are all better on the early norris. The mouths are consistently tighter on the early ones. The rosewood probably leads to a more stable plane (the smoother I got needed significant lapping on the bottom to function as a smoother, it had twist as well as low spots that I didn't expect to find). But once both types would be cleaned up, I seriously doubt that the early norris planes are any better users than the late ones. The later ones with their fat handles tend to have less breaks and chips off of the handles, too.

I think the fascination with the adjusters is overblown, though the lateral adjustment is better on the originals than it is on the modern LV copies solely because the rod is much longer and the lateral adjustment less sensitive. Thus far, I'd conclude that the Norris adjuster is technically more interesting to look at and harder to make, but functionally inferior to stanley's adjuster design for an experienced planer.

All that said, if someone wants to buy me this heavily cleaned boat anchor to copy, I do take donations!! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-24- ... SwpP9Y8hBQ

Heavily heavily cleaned for sure, but my experience with most planes is that unless they are almost perfect shape and rare, a cleaned plane still brings more money than one in original shape.

Suggests that even with planes that are $1k or more, it's users buying them now, and not collectors - except for the rare items.

I'd rather drive a nail through the palm of my left hand than use a plane with a Norris adjuster, is a paraphrase of a comment I read somewhere. I haven't seen anything substantive that would cause me to think differently as far as my own use goes!

All the (long, recursive, boring) discussions I've read concerning what makes a Norris so good share a theme. The one I read most recently, possibly on the Old Tools list, again and again clarification was sought in objective terms about what makes them superior (not good, superior, as is the usual fanboy claim) and it was never forthcoming, with almost all responses eventually boiling down to: user preference. Which is of course highly subjective.

Come on, old stanley jointer in reasonable nick~£100, the norris in the advert ~£3000. The norris is obviously 30 times better. Can't argue with that, that's science.
Paddy

Paddy Roxburgh":25835evq said:
Come on, old stanley jointer in reasonable nick~£100, the norris in the advert ~£3000. The norris is obviously 30 times better. No argument, that's science.
Paddy

There's one thing on the norris's side. I have no machine tools other than a grinder, belt sander and a drill press (those go with a lot of files and a good hacksaw). I could build the norris plane, aside from the need to get someone else to make me the cap screw (got that covered). I couldn't make the stanley - who casts in their shop?

No clue on what the jointer weighs, though. I made an 18" spiers kit with brass sides and a cocobolo infill - it was just shy of 9 pounds. I'd guess that jointer is 12 or so, which is a non-starter if you're feeling any less than pumped about working wood.

ED65":o9el3tw8 said:
I'd rather drive a nail through the palm of my left hand than use a plane with a Norris adjuster, is a paraphrase of a comment I read somewhere. I haven't seen anything substantive that would cause me to think differently as far as my own use goes!

All the (long, recursive, boring) discussions I've read concerning what makes a Norris so good share a theme. The one I read most recently, possibly on the Old Tools list, again and again clarification was sought in objective terms about what makes them superior (not good, superior, as is the usual fanboy claim) and it was never forthcoming, with almost all responses eventually boiling down to: user preference. Which is of course highly subjective.

Well, I guess it sounds then like someone isn't going to illuminate me on how to use them better because there's no great way to use them! They do work well for coarse adjustments, but I guess I've not seen someone talking about how great the norris adjuster is without relying solely on it being because of less backlash. Which isn't that much of an advantage when they are cumbersome for fine adjustments.

I wonder how many people are aware of the premium price that people had to pay for Norris planes when they were new and not subject to the whims of a collector driven market.In the seventies and early eighties I worked alongside an elderly cabinet maker who had bought his Norris A5 shortly after completing his apprenticeship.It cost him three weeks wages.

I find it hard to imagine anybody parting with that amount of money now given that alternatives that work very well are available.I have a few Stanleys and a Record as well as an A5 and it has been my experience that the A5 with its small mouth is inherently better at dealing with awkward grain.My other planes will cope just as well with awkward grain if I take a few minutes to move the frog forward a touch and keep the cap iron close to the cutting edge.I also find the greater amount of space given by a an open grip rather than a closed handle to be more comfortable (we don't traditionally call them totes in England,but the term is spreading).My most used plane for more than forty years is a Stanley No 4 with plastic handles and it does what I need it to do,but I won't be parting with the Norris just yet.

ED65":2hg0oqt5 said:
I'd rather drive a nail through the palm of my left hand than use a plane with a Norris adjuster,

Sounds a bit harsh to me. I have a late Norris A1 panel plane (probably one of the last made and I no longer use it) where the adjuster works as new. The big, huge problem with a Norris is that folks used to twiddle the adjuster without slackening off the cap iron for half a turn. Altering the doc with the adjuster done up as tight as a tight thing is a sure fired, 100% guaranteed way of ruining the mechanism. Find a Norris where it's not been mangled and it will be a revelation, but I suspect they may be few and far between - Rob

Reckon that panel plane will weigh in at 20 lbs plus I think the steel base was thicker possibly the sides as well. I do have a #1 Norris rosewood infill but I have never tried getting a date for it. Never had a Norris adjuster so don't know how good they are, adjust mine the same way as DW. I do like the Norris style adjusters on LV BU planes but only use them for depth of cut, lateral adjustment I use a tap from a screwdriver handle. A Mathieson very similar to the A5 I treat in the same way. Both planes I find the handles far more comfortable to use than any Stanley type. My usual go to plane though is a Record 5 1/2 it just works for me.

I've got an A1 and an A5 and have never had any issues adjusting them.
Though to be honest they don't get a lot of use nowadays.
I read somewhere (Kingshott, Ray Iles??) about an adjuster with a double thread that gave a very fine adjustment.

Rod

Harbo":cvxg6n4j said:
I've got an A1 and an A5 and have never had any issues adjusting them.
Though to be honest they don't get a lot of use nowadays.
I read somewhere (Kingshott, Ray Iles??) about an adjuster with a double thread that gave a very fine adjustment.

Rod

"Differential thread" IIRC.

BugBear

MusicMan":1zjtd8da said:
BB is right, a double thread on its own would be a coarser adjustment.

I had a spiers modern kit panel plane with an adjuster of that type. To say that it adjusts fast would be an understatement. Way too sensitive.

woodbloke65":1ln0r5jq said:
ED65":1ln0r5jq said:
Sounds a bit harsh to me.
Quite intentional :D I can't be sure but the original quote may have started "I'd rather put my eye out..." but I didn't want to go there.

I'd like to have one of the cast sole norris planes, wouldn't matter if it's straight sided or not. (50, 51, 60, 61? Don't know the actual numbers). I'd bet the adjuster would work better with the iron bedded on cast than it does with the iron bedded on wood since the wood has some grip.

I haven't seen any for less than 300 quid or so that have an original iron and that are in good shape (not pitted up or with demolished wood). That's important only because I am past the point of where I will buy tools that don't look like they could be resold later if I decide to set them aside.

I've noticed a lean toward norris planes for a lot of folks mentioning how they plane difficult grain well. I suppose they do, but any plane that has a double iron will do the fine work easily as well, but work a wider range of thicknesses, too.

The function of a plane is to hold a blade at the correct angle to plane wood. Quality does come into it, particularly where functionality is impacted - quality of blade, flatness of sole, angle of sole to sides, weight, handle comfort etc. As a novice it seems to me that screw and lever adjustment are preferable to time served craftsman inspired subtle taps with hammer or screwdriver.

In other respects I do wonder whether planes are a little like antiques or classic cars where emotion (beauty, design, provenance etc) are more important than functionality or price, and we sometimes sacrifice functionality to possess them - eg: a 2017 Mazda MX5 is far better a sports car that an 1959 MGA although the latter certainly tugs more strongly at the heartstrings (and the wallet).

There is definitely some role of aesthetics in terms of tool value, as long as an aesthetic tool doesn't have outright functional flaws.

As far as the adjuster goes, I definitely preferred it at the outset. It just makes sense - you adjust the cut heavier when you want it heavier, and you adjust it lighter when you want lighter. After a while, you get used to adjusterless planes in some respect - and start to prefer them if you get a good one that adjusts properly. If you get an old plane that favors one side of the lever cap over the other and always loses its lateral adjustment with every tap of the hammer, then that's not quite so nice and it could put you off.

I do really like the stanley adjuster, and perhaps the best plane I've ever had of the stanley style is a sorby jointer that I ordered from your side of the ocean last year - presumably I ordered it out from under some folks who actually wanted it in the UK, as some folks drove the price up on me, and there really isn't a great following for that kind of thing over here.

At any rate, certainly, aesthetics count. it became cool on another forum a few years ago to suggest that anyone who wants to use or make pretty tools is someone who is not capable of good work. That lost all credibility when George Wilson expressed his opinion that a tool that has good design aesthetics otherwise inspires its user to do better work (if they are experienced enough to do so).

Just my opinion, but I think the market of users now is what's driving up the Norris collection of planes that have an adjuster as it doesn't rise to the level of making the plane easier to use for an experienced user, but I'm sure it does so for an inexperienced user.

We often hear that a plane is just a holder for a blade, but that does do something to minimize just how important aspects of the plane are. How it's designed for adjustment, how well it maintains that adjustability, whether or not the weight is about right, and whether the right proportion of it is before and after the iron. Whether the location of the iron is complementary to the handle location and the angle of the handle. I bring this up because I have heard that quote a lot, and have made some relatively precise planes that don't have the items I mentioned correct, and they aren't very enjoyable to use, despite having nice irons. I've thrown most of them away in the trash rather than selling them for a pittance on ebay because I don't want to subject someone else to them.

For really fine lateral adjustment I prefer to tap the iron with the handle of a chisel or whatever else comes to hand. Lateral adjusters are great for most work or to quickly get you close, but I've never found one that's sensitive enough for really critical work, like truing the edges of drawer bottoms on a shooting board. I've heard it described as "stiction", when you have press hard enough on something to overcome the initial inertia, but then end up overshooting the setting. Anyway, in my experience lateral adjusters tend to have lots of "stiction"!

Norris adjusters seem to make this problem even more difficult, in that plenty of the ones I've seen minutely shift the lateral adjustment when the iron is moved in and out for a coarser or finer cuts. After quite a bit of searching I did find a Norris panel plane that was free of this problem, but I must have tried half a dozen or more to get one I was happy with. I've used a couple of Veritas planes with Norris style adjusters and they don't seem to suffer as badly from this issue, maybe it's just because they haven't been abused, I don't really know.

I'm also the happy owner (and daily user) of a Holtey infill smoother, which also holds the lateral adjustment true when the iron is retracted or advanced. But in all these cases and with all these planes (plus traditional Stanley and Record planes), a couple of taps on the iron seems to provide finer lateral adjustment control than the provided lever. Or at least that's my conclusion, maybe other people have different approaches, and if gets them the results they want then all well and good!

I agree, Custard. With all my planes I use a small hammer to make lateral adjustments. Like you, I often grab the nearest object. By preference, however, I will use a tiny jewellers hammer with Bailey type planes ...

Custom-plane-tools1a_zpsa5jitese.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back